THE FLATS — Postseason play continues for the Georgia Tech women’s basketball team on Thursday, March 22, as the Jackets travel to Alabama for round three of the WNIT. Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m. (EST) in Coleman Coliseum.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (20-13) at Alabama Crimson Tide (19-13)
Live Video: Via RollTide.com
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Alabama Game Notes
STARTING FIVE AGAINST ALABAMA
1. For the second year in a row, Georgia Tech has advanced to round three of the WNIT. The Jackets meet Alabama in Tuscaloosa on Thursday for an 8 p.m. tip.
2. The Jackets and Crimson Tide meet for the seventh time in program history and first this season. The foes met twice last year, once in regular season play at Alabama and again in the WNIT quarterfinals. Tech is making its fourth-straight appearance in the WNIT and eighth overall. Through seven postseason WNIT appearances, the Jackets own a 14-6 record.
3. Last season, Tech advanced to the WNIT championship game, meeting Michigan. The Jackets fell in the championship in triple overtime.
4. Zaire O’Neil has posted back-to-back double-double performances in the WNIT. The senior is leading the Jackets in postseason play, averaging 20.0 ppg and 10.0 rpg.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 15th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 294-190. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD….
-Move the all-time record against Alabama to 3-4
-Advance the Jackets to the quarterfinals where they would meet the winner of the Virginia Tech/Fordham matchup
-Move the Jackets to 15-6 overall when competing in the WNIT
-Mark the 295th win of Coach Joseph’s career
-Be the 670th all-time program win in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history and move the Yellow Jackets to 670-617 overall
Georgia Tech and Alabama have met six times in program history, including twice last season. Alabama leads the all-time series, 4-2, after the teams split the meetings last season. The non-conference foes met in the WNIT quarterfinals last season with Tech avenging a regular season loss to advance to the semifinals. The Jackets led by as many as 24 points in the quarterfinal matchup and took the decision by 10, 76-66. Five Jackets scored in double-figures in the WNIT win. In the regular season matchup at Alabama, Tech fell by a narrow 67-65 margin despite a late 9-3 run to come within one point late in the game.