ATHENS, Ga. — Despite shooting 85.7 percent from the free throw line, Georgia Tech dropped a 60-53 decision at Georgia Sunday afternoon after shooting just 29.7 percent from the field. Georgia outscored Georgia Tech 20-7 in the third quarter and held on for the win, 60-53, in Stegeman Coliseum fighting off a late Yellow Jacket rally. Elo Edeferioka posted a double-double as three Jackets finished in double-figure scoring numbers.
How It Happened
The first half witnessed 10 lead changes and four tied scores as the teams battled through 20 minutes of action. Tech held the largest lead of the half at five points, 29-24, when Francesca Pan converted a pair of free throws with 1:54 left in the half. Georgia led at the end of the first quarter, 18-15, but Tech went 8-for-8 from the free throw line in the second frame to regain the lead. The teams traded the lead back-and-forth in the second quarter until the final three minutes.
Trailing by one, 34-33, Pan hit her first triple of the game at the 5:50 mark of the third frame to give Tech a 36-34 advantage. But Georgia would hold Tech scoreless the remainder of the quarter and use a 12-0 run to lead 46-36 entering the fourth stanza. The Lady Bulldogs would claim a 12-point lead twice before Chanin Scott hit a trey to spark a quick 7-2 Jacket run and cut the score to 52-45 with 5:59 to play. Coming out of a Tech timeout, Edeferioka and Lorela Cubaj hit back-to-back layups to bring the Jackets within five points, 57-52, but Georgia would hold Tech to just one free throw over the final minute to come away with a 60-53 win.
* Edeferioka pulled down a team-best 10 rebounds and finished with 11 points to pick up her second double-double of the season
* Tech out-rebounded Georgia, 41-34, including a 20-8 offensive rebound edge
* Pan finished with 11 points followed by Scott with 10 points
* For the game, Tech shot 29.7 percent (19-64), while Georgia shot 47.2 percent (25-53)
* The Jackets finished 12-of-14 from the free throw line, while holding the Lady Bulldogs to a 8-of-15 effort
The Jackets return to McCamish Pavilion for a pair of games over the next week and open things hosting Charleston Southern at 7 p.m. on Dec. 19. The game will be available on ACC Network Extra.