Oct. 5, 2016
CLEMSON, S.C. – Three Yellow Jackets hit above .500 as the Georgia Tech volleyball team (12-5, 3-2 ACC) swept Clemson (5-12, 0-5) Wednesday night to earn its seventh sweep of the season.
How It Happened
The Jackets went to work quickly and took a 12-1 lead in game one thanks in part to six kills early by Teegan Van Gunst and the serving of London Ackermann. Georgia Tech ran away with the set 25-7 and hit .630 as a team.
Set two proved to be a back and forth battle. The Jackets led 17-12, before a Clemson rally put the Tigers within one, 17-16. Neither team led by more than three points from there and it was the Jackets who prevailed 25-23.
Up 3-2 in game three, a 5-0 Georgia Tech rally put the Jackets up 8-2 early. The momentum stayed with the Jackets and Georgia Tech raced to a 21-11 advantage. The Jackets didn’t let up winning 25-15.
“It was nice to have a lot of players hitting above .300,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “Our setters did a really good job and work on that 6-2 a little bit this match was helpful. It was good to see players execute at a high level. This is a tough environment to play in, and we’re proud of the focus and how we came out that first game. I think we stayed aggressive with our serve and our offense was the theme of the match tonight.”
– Georgia Tech held Clemson to single digits in set one. It marks the first time Tech held a team to single digits since Nov. 8, 2015 when the Jackets held Wake Forest to nine points.
– Teegan Van Gunst tallied 12 kills to go along with nine digs. It’s the 11th-straight match that she has put up double-figure kills.
– Annika Van Gunst put down 11 kills on .562 hitting.
– Gabriela Stavnetchei recorded nine kills and hit for .500, while Sydney Wilson had seven kills and also hit at a .500 clip.
– London Ackermann held down the back row with 13 digs.
– Georgia Tech out-hit Clemson .422 to .176.
Georgia Tech travels to Virginia on Friday at 7 p.m. on the ACC Network Extra as the Jackets look to snap a four-game skid against the Cavaliers.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech volleyball team, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.