Nov. 20, 2016
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech volleyball (23-7, 14-4 ACC) earned their 13th sweep of the season against Notre Dame (20-10, 11-7) on Sunday at O’Keefe on Senior Day in front of a robust crowd. The Jackets’ 23 wins are the most since the Jackets recorded 27 victories in 2004 and the 14 ACC wins are the most since 16 wins in 2009.
How It Happened
The Jackets jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the opening game and never looked back. Georgia Tech held Notre Dame to a .029 hitting clip, while swinging at .353 on its way to a 25-18 first-set victory.
Game two was more of a back and forth battle with 18 tied scores and 11 lead changes. The teams fought for the set until the very end with ties at 25-25, 26-26, and 27-27. It was the Jackets at 27-27 that scored the final two points of the set on a kill by Gabriela Stavnetchei and a Notre Dame error to take the game 29-27.
The momentum stayed with Georgia Tech as the Yellow Jackets doubled up on Notre Dame 16-8 in game three. At 21-10, Sydney Wilson’s three kills gave Georgia Tech match point 24-12, before Teegan Van Gunst slammed home her 16thkill of the match for the 25-12 win.
“As cliché as hard work pays off sounds, I think that this is exactly what it is,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “This group has worked so hard from day one to leave their legacy and to bring a group of people together to be bigger than ourselves.
“I think that every player on our roster wants to do that and we are having a special year because of that. We are playing together as a team, we are out working our opponents, and we’re playing with confidence. The mission is not over yet, we’ve got a lot to do but I’m very proud of this group of players that are forever going to be remembered here as one of the best to have worn the gold and white jersey.”
– Teegan Van Gunst led all players on the court with 16 kills, marking her 23rd-straight match with double-figure kills.
– Gabriela Stavnetchei added 10 kills on .333 hitting.
– Sydney Wilson put down six kills on .462 hitting with three blocks
– Lauren Pitz hit .833 with five kills on six swings.
– Defensively, Annika Van Gunst had four block assists. She needs three kills to reach 1,000 career kills.
– Rebecca Martin had five kills on .571 hitting with 32 assists and two aces.
– London Ackermann put up 21 digs, marking her 11th match this season with 20-plus digs.
The Jackets wrap up the regular season on the road at Miami and No. 17 Florida State. Georgia Tech takes on Miami on Wednesday at 7 p.m. on the ACC Network Extra. The Jackets end their regular season at Florida State on Friday at 1 p.m.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech volleyball team, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.