Feb. 2, 2006
Madison, Wisc. – The third-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team fell to No. 15 Texas, 5-2, in the first round of the National Indoor Team Championships Thursday afternoon at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium on the campus of the University of Wisconsin.
Texas came back after dropping the doubles point to win five singles matches. Mia Marovic earned the deciding point by coming from behind to defeat Tech’s 71st-ranked Lyndsay Shosho, 6-7, 6-4, 6-0.
The Jackets carried a 1-0 lead into singles by taking doubles matches at the Nos. 1 and 3 slots. No. 26 Kristi Miller and Shosho downed the Texas duo of Kendra Strohm and Marovic, ranked 31st in the nation, by a score of 8-4 at the No. 1 position, before Tarryn Rudman and Alison Silverio came back to take a 9-7 victory over Kelly Baritot and Courtney Zauft to capture the doubles point for the Jackets.
Because of court limitations, the Nos. 2, 4 and 6 matches were played in the first singles rotation. Texas’ Zauft tied the match at 1-1 when she earned the first singles win, defeating Tech’s 35th-ranked Kelly Anderson, 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot, and the Longhorns took a 2-1 lead after Baritot stopped Whitney McCray, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 6 singles.
Texas jumped to a 3-1 lead when Petra Dizdar earned a three-set victory over No. 25 Rudman at the No. 2 singles position, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, but seventh-ranked Miller pulled the Jackets to within one point with an easy 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 55 Strohm at the top singles slot.
Rounding out the singles action for the Yellow Jackets was Silverio, who fell in three sets to Ristine Olson, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 5 position.
The Yellow Jackets will return to action tomorrow morning in the consolation round, facing one of the following teams at 9 a.m. CT: Wisconsin, Stanford, Kentucky, BYU, Harvard or TCU. Draws will be announced later this evening.
Tennis Match Results
Texas vs Georgia Tech
Feb 02, 2006 at Madison, Wisc.
#15 Texas 5, #3 Georgia Tech 2
1. #7 Kristi Miller (GT) def. #55 Kendra Strohm (UT) 6-4, 6-2
2. Petra Dizdar (UT) def. #25 Tarryn Rudman (GT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
3. Mia Marovic (UT) def. #71 Lyndsay Shosho (GT) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-0
4. Courtney Zauft (UT) def. #35 Kelly Anderson (GT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ristine Olson (UT) def. Alison Silverio (GT) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Kelly Baritot (UT) def. Whitney McCray (GT) 6-2, 7-5
1. #26 Kristi Miller/Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. #31 Kendra Strohm/Mia Marovic (UT) 8-4
2. #42 Kelly Anderson/Whitney McCray (GT) vs. Marija Milic/Petra Dizdar (UT) 7-8, unfinished
3. Tarryn Rudman/Alison Silverio (GT) def. Kelly Baritot/Courtney Zauft (UT) 9-7
Texas 0-2; National ranking #15
Georgia Tech 0-0; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,6,2,1,3,5)
First Round match at the National Indoor Team Championships