ATLANTA – The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team won its third consecutive match, defeating UC Irvine 5-2 at Bill Moore Tennis Center this afternoon.
The Yellow Jackets swept the doubles matches to claim the first point of the day and rolled though singles, winning four of six matches on the day.
Sophomore Roger Anderson and David Wright teamed to beat Oliver Schweizer and David Matthew 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. On the second court, Tech senior Romain Coirault and freshman Joao Menano defeated Chris Ma and Jon Endrikat, 8-3. At No. 3 doubles, seniors Sergio Aguirre and Jason Jeong defeated UC Irvine’s Renouk Wijemanne and Williams, 8-5.
Anderson and Wright earned victories in both singles and doubles play this afternoon. Anderson defeated Matthew, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 2. Wright beat Ma, 6-1, 7-6, on the No. 3 court.
A pair of newcomers also captured singles victories for the Yellow Jackets. Sophomore transfer Stephen Moros defeated Jon Endrikat, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4 singles and freshman Alex Navinkov defeated Renouk Wijemanne, 6-1, 7-6.
The Yellow Jackets improved to 8-3 and play at Furman on Wednesday.
Georgia Tech 5, UC Irvine 2
1. Oliver Schweizer (UCI) def. Romain Coirault (GT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Roger Anderson (GT) def. David Matthew 6-2, 7-5
3. David Wright (GT) def. Chris Ma 6-1, 7-6
4. Stephen Moros (GT) def. Jon Endrikat (UCI) 6-2, 6-3
5. Greg Bjorkman (UCI) def. Sergio Aguirre (GT) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex Navinkov (GT) def. Renouk Wijemanne (UCI) 6-1, 7-6
Doubles – Georgia Tech wins doubles point
1. Anderson/Wright (GT) def. Schweizer/Matthew (UCI) 8-2
2. Coirault/Joao Menano (GT) def. Ma/Endrikat (UCI) 8-3
3. Aguirre/Jason Jeong (GT) def. Wijemanne/Williams 8-5