Georgia Tech combined for 13 hits, while holding UVA to three runs to win Game 2
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech baseball put all the pieces together on Saturday afternoon, working to even the series against Virginia with a 7-3 victory in Game 2 at Russ Chandler Stadium.
Three players with three-hit outings led the charge for the Yellow Jackets (11-8, 2-3 ACC), while starting pitcher LHP Connor Thomas (2-1) held the Cavaliers (9-9, 2-3 ACC) to just seven hits and two runs during his seven-plus innings on the mound.
Tech went 9-for-13 from the 9-1-2 positions in the lineup as Nick Wilhite, Luke Waddell and Michael Guldberg all finished with three hits on the day. Waddell led the group with two RBI, while Kyle McCann launched his 12th home run of the season for two RBI as well.
Thomas, with a 1.2 inning relief from Hugh Chapman, held UVA to just two multi-hit batters in Cameron Simmons and Zack Gelof. The Cavs used four pitchers out of the bullpen after starter Griff McGarry (2-3) surrendered four runs on six hits, walking seven. Blake Bales was the most effective, tossing a clean outing.
The Yellow Jackets return for the rubber game on Sunday when it concludes its series against Virginia at Russ Chandler Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. and is broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
- After having just two games with 10 hits in the first six games, the Jackets have now raddled off 11 games with 10 or more hits in their last 12 games. They are 9-3 when hitting 10 or more.
- Georgia Tech is 6-4 in its last 10.
- Connor Thomas’1 innings worked is the longest of the season.
- Michael Guldberg’s three hits marked the third-straight game that he’s had three or more games, now at 11 on the week.
- Luke Waddell’s three hits matched his career high that was just set earlier this season.
- Nick Wilhite finished with three hits on the day as well, matching his career high. It’s the second time this season he’s hit the mark.
- Kyle McCann was walked three times and didn’t see an official at-bat until his fourth plate appearances. Three walks matches a season high.
Head Coach Danny Hall Postgame Interview
Connor Thomas Postgame Interview
Connor Thomas throws a terrific start, 7.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 6 K 💪 pic.twitter.com/bkOxfulzuo
— Georgia Tech Baseball (@GTBaseball) March 16, 2019
Luke Waddell Postgame Interview