March 3, 2013
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech swept all three doubles matches and won five of six singles matches Sunday evening in earning a 6-1 men’s tennis victory over Kennesaw State at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Yellow Jackets completed a split of their Sunday tennis double-header and evened their spring record at 6-6 after dropping a 4-0 match to No. 8 Tennessee earlier in the day. The Owls fell to 2-5.
Tech won five singles matches in straight sets after winning all three doubles matches. Juan Melian defeated Maksim Yorsh, who retired after trailing 5-0, on court 2, while Eduardo Segura downed Luis Theodore, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3, and freshman Nathan Rakitt got past Gokalp Ozdemir, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 4 to clinch the match for the Yellow Jackets.
Melian improved to 9-3 this spring, while Rakitt is 7-3 in dual matches.
With a shuffled doubles lineup caused by a knee injury to Vikram Hundal, who has paired with Spir to post a 10-2 record this spring, Tech still swept the doubles point. Melian and Rakitt moved up to play at the No. 1 position and earned an 8-1 victory over Tobi Menhofer and Louis Theodor, while Segura and Edwards downed Yorsh and Gianni Gubin, 8-5, to secure the point for Tech.
The Yellow Jackets return to action with a home match at 3:30 p.m. Thursday against William & Mary.
#67 Georgia Tech 6, Kennesaw State 1
Mar 3, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga.(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
1. #53 Juan Spir (GT) def. Tobi Menhofer (KSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Juan Melian (GT) def. Maksim Yorsh (KSU) 5-0, retired
3. Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Louis Theodor (KSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alexander Pena (KSU) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-6)
6. Colin Edwards (GT) def. Matthew Johnson (KSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Tobi Menhofer/Louis Theodor (KSU) 8-1
2. Eduardo Segura/Colin Edwards (GT) def. Maksim Yorsh/Gianni Kubin (KSU) 8-5
3. Juan Spir/Anish Sharma (GT) def. Alexander Pena/Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 9-8 (9-7)
Kennesaw State 2-5
Georgia Tech 6-6; National ranking #67
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,6,1,5)
Match played indoors