Feb. 2, 2013
Columbia, S.C. – Freshman Nathan Rakitt scored a three-set victory at No. 4 singles, but that was the only point Georgia Tech could muster Saturday as the 65th-ranked Yellow Jackets dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 47 South Carolina in men’s tennis at the USC Field House.
Rakitt, from Marietta, Ga., remained undefeated in dual match play this spring (4-0), rallying from an opening set loss to defeat Kyle Koch, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
By the time, however, the Gamecocks (5-2) had already clinched the match, winning the doubles point with victories at the No. 2 and 3 positions. Tech’s third-ranked team of Juan Spir and Vikram Hundal were not a factor and did not complete their match.
South Carolina made quick work of the Yellow Jackets once singles play began, capturing three points with straight-set wins. Tsvetan Mihov disposed of Spir, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 while Thiago Pinheiro defeated Vikram Hundal, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 3, and Chip Cox took down Juan Melian, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 2.
Tech returns to action next Friday against 6th-ranked Georgia, a match that begins at 4 p.m. at the new Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
Feb. 2, 2013 at Columbia, S.C. (USC Field House)
#47 South Carolina 6, #65 Georgia Tech 1
1. Tsvetan Mihov (SC) def. #32 Juan Spir (GT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Chip Cox (SC) def. Juan Melian (GT) 6-4, 7-5
3. Thiago Pinheiro (SC) def. Vikram Hundal (GT) 6-1, 6-4
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Kyle Koch (SC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Harry Menzies (SC) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-8)
6. Ben Barnette (SC) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 6-2, 6-1
1. #3 Vikram Hundal/Juan Spir (GT) vs. Chip Cox/Tsvetan Mihov (SC) no result
2. Kyle Koch/Harry Menzies (SC) def. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) 8-4
3. Ben Barnette/Thiago Pinheiro (SC) def. Eduardo Segura/Garrett Gordon (GT) 8-2
Georgia Tech 2-3; National ranking #65
South Carolina 5-2; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)