Jan. 26, 2014
LINCOLN, Neb. – The #19 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (1-1) lost a close match to #16 Vanderbilt, 4-3, during the championship match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend.
“We lost a tough match against a very good team,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “We were a few points away from winning the doubles point. Kendal and Megan played great again at number one doubles. We bounced back in singles with impressive wins from Kendal Megan and Natasha.”
The Yellow Jackets started off the match down, 1-0, after losing the doubles point. The #4-ranked doubles team of Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard won their 12th-straight doubles match, defeating #28 Ashleigh Antal and Sydney Campbell, 6-3.
On court two, sophomore Natasha Prokhnevska and Muriel Wacker lost their first match of the spring as a pair, falling to Courtney Colton and Marie Casares, 6-4. Freshmen Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and Rasheeda McAdoo lost a close one at the number three spot after they were edged by Lauren Mira and Georgina Sellyn, 7-5.
The Jackets jumped ahead to a 2-1 lead after Kurey and Woodard each won their singles matches. On court six, Kurey took down Antal, 6-2, 6-1 while Woodard defeated #78 Campbell. 6-4, 6-3, on court one.
A win from Casares at the five spot against Wacker, 6-4, 6-3, tied up the match at, 2-2. Prokhnevska stayed undefeated in singles, winning her match at the number two spot against Colton, 6-4, 6-1. On court four, Anton-Ohlmeyer lost her match to Altick, 6-2, 6-3.
“Rasheeda lost the tiebreaker in the third that ended the match,” Harmon said. “She lost the first set and fought so hard to win the second set to force the decisive tiebreaker.”
After losing the first set, 6-3, McAdoo came back to win set two, 6-1, against #48 Sellyn at the number three position. McAdoo fell in the tiebreaker, 10-5, and the Yellow Jackets lost their first match of the season.
The Jackets have their first home match on Saturday when they host Old Dominion at 12 p.m. at the Byers Tennis Complex.
#16 Vanderbilt 4, #19 Georgia Tech 3
1. Kendal Woodard (14WTGT) def. #78 Sydney Campbell (14WTVAN) 6-4, 6-3
2. Natasha Prokhnevska (14WTGT) def. Courtney Colton (14WTVAN) 6-4, 6-1
3. #48 Georgina Sellyn (14WTVAN) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (14WTGT) 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Frances Altick (14WTVAN) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (14WTGT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Marie Casares (14WTVAN) def. Muriel Wacker (14WTGT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Megan Kurey (14WTGT) def. #102 Ashleigh Antal (14WTVAN) 6-2, 6-1
1. #4 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (14WTGT) def. #28 Ashleigh Antal/Sydney Campbell (14WTVAN) 6-3
2. Courtney Colton/Marie Casares (14WTVAN) def. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (14WTGT) 6-4
3. Lauren Mira/Georgina Sellyn (14WTVAN) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Rasheeda McAdoo (14WTGT) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,2,4,3)