THE FLATS – Kenya Jones pocketed a straight-set victory Wednesday afternoon, but it wasn’t enough to lift Georgia Tech over No. 20 Texas Tech as the Yellow Jackets dropped a 4-1 decision. The loss moved Georgia Tech to 0-3 on the season.
DOUBLES ACTION: Georgia Tech took the first match to finish as the Yellow Jacket pair of Jones and Jeanette Lin captured a 6-3 victory over No. 38 Felicity Maltby and Nell Miller, but the Lady Raiders saw victories on courts two and three to secure the doubles point. Texas Tech evened the doubles playing field with a 6-4 win from Olivia Peet and Francesca Sella on court three, bringing the decision down to court two where No. 39 Victoria Flores and Valeriya Deminova were battling Kennedy Bridgforth and Lana Rush. The Lady Raiders squeezed out a 6-4 decision to clinch the doubles point and the 1-0 match lead for Texas Tech.
SINGLES ACTION: Jones put Georgia Tech on the scoreboard with a triumph on court one as the junior rolled past Maltby in straight sets. Jones, ranked No. 24, and No. 52 Maltby battled in the first set with the Yellow Jacket proving victorious, 7-5, and then collected the win with a 6-4 second set victory over the Lady Raider to even the match at 1-all. Texas Tech would take the next three matches to finish to clinch the 4-1 victory.
QUOTABLE: “We played another tough match today against a very good opponent. We need to regroup and get ready for another tough matchup on Saturday against Winthrop.” – Head coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech continues this homestand welcoming Winthrop for a Saturday morning matchup at 11 a.m. at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
1. Kenya Jones/Jeanette Lin (GT) def. No. 38 Felicity Maltby/Nell Miller (TTU) 6-3
2. Kennedy Bridgforth/Lana Rush (TTU) def. No. 39 Victoria Flores/Valeriya Deminova (GT) 6-4
3. Oliva Peet/Francesca Sella (TTU) def. Nami Otsuka/Gia Cohen (GT) 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. No. 24 Kenya Jones (GT) def. No. 52 Felicity Maltby (TTU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Jeanette Lin (GT) vs. Nell Miller (TTU) 7-5, 4-6, 2-2 DNF
3. Denise-Antonela Stoica (TTU) def. Nami Otsuka (GT) 7-6, 6-4
4. Francesca Sella (TTU) def. Gia Cohen (GT) 6-4, 7-5
5. Kennedy Bridgforth (TTU) def. Victoria Flores (GT) 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
6. Valeriya Deminova (GT) vs. Lana Rush (TTU) 7-6, 5-6 DNF
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5