Feb. 26, 2008
The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team (8-1) closed out its nine game season-opening homestand with a 6-1 win over visiting GeorgiaState (1-7) Tuesday afternoon at the BillMooreTennisCenter.
The Yellow Jackets are now 8-1 and are off to the programs best start since the 1966 season when Tech opened the season 13-1 on its way to a 16-2-1 record.
Tech’s Guillermo Gomez and David North opened up doubles play with a quick 8-2 win over William Adeimy and Trenton Spikes at the No. 2 position. Miguel Muguruza and Eliot Potvin sealed the doubles point for the Jackets with a come-from-behind 8-5 win over Aleksandar Elezovic and Ross Hopper on court No 3.
Tech moved ahead 2-0 when North made quick work of Anze Cevka, 6-2, 6-2, from the No. 2 spot. Doug Kenny finished off Ross Hopper, 6-0, 6-2, from the sixth position to give the Jackets a commanding 3-0 lead.
Gomez sealed the win for the Jackets from the top spot in the lineup, defeating Nejc Podkrajsek, 6-2, 6-3, and giving Tech its 29th win in 30 tries against the Panthers. Austin Roebuck and Miguel Muguruza also picked up victories for the Jackets.
“Guillermo and David continue to play very well,” head coach Kenny Thorne said. “They handled their matches well under some brutal weather conditions. I felt like we fought very hard in singles but could have come out and done a little better job bringing intensity to the court in doubles.
“It was very nice to get Austin and Doug in the lineup and they responded well. I was very happy to see Doug take care of business quickly. We now look forward to start our Atlantic Coast Conference schedule with a big test at FloridaState.”
Tech will take its first road trip of the season Friday when it travels to No. 16 Florida State for its ACC opener. The match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. at the ScottSpeicherTennisCenter.
– RamblinWreck.com –
Tennis Match Results
Georgia StateUniversity vs Georgia Tech
Feb 26, 2008 at Atlanta, Ga.
#36 Georgia Tech 6, #70 GeorgiaStateUniversity 1
1. Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. Nejc Podkraksek (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #61 David North (GT) def. Anze Cevka (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Aleksandar Elezovic (GSU) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 10-8
4. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. William Adeimy (GSU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-7
5. Austin Roebuck (GT) def. Trenton Spinks (GSU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Doug Kenny (GT) def. Ross Hopper (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Nejc Podkraksek/Anze Cevka (GSU) def. Scott Blackmon/Ryan Smith (GT) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Guillermo Gomez/David North (GT) def. William Adeimy/Trenton Spinks (GSU) 8-2
3. Miguel Muguruza/Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Aleksandar Elezovic/Ross Hopper (GSU) 8-5
Georgia StateUniversity 1-7; National ranking #70
Georgia Tech 8-1; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,6,1,4,5,3)