The 39th-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels defeated No. 20 Georgia Tech, 5-2, Friday afternoon in Atlantic Coast Conference men’s tennis action at Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Georgia Tech’s 37th-ranked doubles team of Roger Anderson and David Wright claimed the first victory of the afternoon, defeating Nick Monroe and David Cheatwood, 8-5, at No. 1 doubles. But UNC won at No. 2 doubles and rallied to win at No. 3 and claim the critical doubles point.
The Yellow Jackets evened the score at one when sophomore Stephen Moros earned the first singles point with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 4 over Trystan Meniane. But the Tar Heels won the next four singles matches to earn the victory. Playing at No. 5 singles, North Carolina sophomore Greg Archer sealed the win for the Tar Heels with a 6-2, 0-6, 6-3 decision over Tech freshman Alex Navinkov.
Wright was the only Yellow Jacket player to win at both singles and doubles, defeating Monroe, 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (5) at No. 3 singles in the final match of the day.
In their final regular-season match of the year, the Yellow Jackets fell to 16-5 overall and 6-2 in the ACC. UNC improved to 10-7 and 5-2 in the conference and plays at Clemson on Sunday.
Georgia Tech next travels to Orlando, Fla., for the ACC Championships April 19-22.
North Carolina 5, Georgia Tech 2
1. Marcio Petrone (UNC) def. Roger Anderson (GT), 7-5, 6-4
2. David Cheatwood (UNC) def. Romain Coirault (GT) 7-5, 7-5
3. David Wright (GT) def. Nicholas Monroe (UNC) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
4. Stephen Moros (GT) def. Trystan Meniane (UNC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Greg Archer (UNC) def. Alex Navinkov (GT) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
6. Chad Riley (UNC) def. Sergio Aguirre (GT) 6-2, 6-1
Doubles: North Carolina wins point
1. No. 37 Anderson/Wright (GT) def. Monroe/Cheatwood (UNC) 8-5
2. Petrone/Archer (UNC) def. Coirault/Joao Menano (GT) 8-4
3. Riley/Meniane (UNC) def. Aguirre/Moros (GT) 8-6