ATLANTA (May 13) — The No. 33 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team couldn’t mount a second upset as they fell 6-0 to the UCLA Bruins in Saturday’s NCAA Regional action in Los Angeles, California. The match was clinched when UCLA’s Abigail Spears defeated Jacket Jaime Wong in the No. 4 singles spot 6-4, 6-4 ending Wong’s six match winning streak.
The Jackets were forced to start the match down two points due to an injury suffered by Tech sophomore Laura Ozolins.
Sabrina Pardo, the team’s only senior played in the No. 1 flight, losing to Sara Walker 6-3, 6-1. At the No. 5 spot, Charlotte Pernet led early in the first set but her opponent Elizabeth Schmidt came back to win 7-6, 6-1. Mysti Morris took the final loss of the day at the No. 2 spot 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. Guthrie was leading after the first set when her match was suspended.
The Jackets finish their season at 14-8 and now hold a 1-1 record in NCAA Championship competition.
NCAA Regional Final
No. 33 Georgia Tech 0 , No. 9 UCLA 6
1. Sara Walker (UCLA) d. Sabrina Pardo (GT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mysti Morris (GT) d. Annica Cooper (UCLA) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.
3. Amanda Basica (UCLA) d. Bobbi Guthrie (GT) 6-7 susp.
4. Abigail Spears (UCLA) d. Jaime Wong (GT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Elizabeth Schmidt (UCLA) d. Charlotte Pernet (GT)7-6, 6-1
6. Catherine Hawley (UCLA) d. Laura Ozolins (GT) default
1. Pardo/Guthrie (GT) vs. Basica/Walker (UCLA) susp.
2. Morris/Wong (GT) vs. Schmidt/Spears (UCLA) susp.
3. Cooper/ Marinova (UCLA) d. Pernet/Ozolins (GT) default