In its first dual match of the spring, the 30th-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team was knocked off by the 11th-ranked Vanderbilt Commodores, 6-1, at the Brownlee O. Currey Tennis Center in Nashville, Tenn., on Sunday afternoon.
Tech senior Bobbi Guthrie earned the Yellow Jackets’ lone point, defeating Kelly Schmandt, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
Junior Lea Miller won her first set at No. 3 singles, but fell to Jenny Miller in three sets, 6-4, 2-6, 5-7. Sophomore Jaime Wong also battled through three sets before falling to Aleke Tsoubanos, 3-6, 7-5, 4-6, at No. 5 singles. After evening the match at 1-1, Wong jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the third set, but Tsoubanos won the next five points to claim the victory.
Freshman Kristen Roberson, sophomore Mysti Morris and junior Laura Ozolins all lost in straight sets.
Guthrie and Miller also earned a doubles victory, defeating Tsoubanos and Sarah Riske, 8-6, at No. 2. But Vanderbilt won the doubles points after Julie Ditty and Kate Burson defeated Wong and Morris at No. 1 and Jenny Miller and Kelly Schmandt topped Roberson and Ozolins at No. 3.
Georgia Tech plays its first home match of the spring on Feb. 9, when it hosts Georgia State at 2:00 p.m.
Vanderbilt 6, Georgia Tech 1
1. Julie Ditty (VU) def. Kristen Roberson (GT) 6-1, 6-4
2. Sarah Riske (VU) def. Mysti Morris (GT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jenny Miller (VU) def. Lea Miller (GT) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Kate Burson (VU) def. Laura Ozolins (GT) 6-4, 6-2
5. Aleke Tsoubanos (VU) def. Jaime Wong (GT) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
6. Bobbi Guthrie (GT) def. Kelly Schmandt (VU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Ditty/Burson (VU) def. Wong/Morris (GT) 8-2
2. Guthrie/Miller (GT) def. Riske/Tsoubanos (VU) 8-6
3. Miller/Schmandt (VU) def. Ozolins/Roberson (VU) 8-4