ATLANTA — The third-ranked Duke Blue Devils blanked the No. 23 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 7-0, in men’s tennis action at Bill Moore Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
Duke claimed the doubles point by winning two of three doubles matches. Duke senior Ramsey Smith and freshman Phillip King got past Yellow Jacket sophomores Roger Anderson and David Wright, 9-8, at No. 1 doubles to earn the point. Tech senior Romain Coirault and freshman Joao Menano claimed the Yellow Jackets’ lone victory of the day, defeating Michael Yani and Andres Pedroso, 8-6, at No. 2 doubles. Marko Cerenko and Ted Rueger defeated Tech seniors Sergio Aguirre and Jason Jeong, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles.
Duke also demonstrated its strength and depth in singles play. Anderson was the only Tech player to force three sets, falling to King, 3-6, 6-4, 2-6 at No. 1 singles. Smith, ranked No. 34 nationally, knocked off Coirault, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. Cerenko topped Wright, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3. Sophomore Stephen Moros dropped a close 7-5 decision in the first set to No. 39 Pedroso, but fell in the second set, 6-1, at No. 4. Duke’s Joel Spicher defeated Aguirre, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 5 singles. Blue Devil sophomore Yorke Allen beat Menano, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 6.
The Yellow Jackets return to action on March 31, when they play at No. 45 Virginia.
Duke 7, Georgia Tech 0
1. Phillip King (DU) d. Roger Anderson (GT), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Ramsey Smith (DU) d. Romain Coirault (GT) 6-2, 6-3
3. Marko Cerenko (DU) d. David Wright (GT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Andres Pedroso (DU) d. Stephen Moros (GT) 7-5, 6-1
5. Joel Spicher (DU) d. Sergio Aguirre (GT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Yorke Allen (DU) d. Joao Menano (GT) 6-1, 6-3
Doubles: Duke wins point
1. King/Smith (DU) d. Anderson/Wright 9-8
2. Coirault/Menano (GT) Michael Yani/Pedroso (DU) 8-6
3. Cerenko/Ted Rueger (DU) d. Aguirre/Jason Jeong (GT) 8-3