Jan. 29, 2016
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 24 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (2-2, 0-1) fell in its ACC season opener 7-0 at No. 11 Miami (3-0, 1-0) on Friday afternoon.
The Yellow Jackets started off the match in a 1-0 hole after losing the doubles point to Miami. Junior Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and senior Natasha Prokhnevska were defeated by Sinead Lohan and Ana Madcur, 6-1, on court two. The No. 35 doubles team of sophomore Paige Hourigan and Kendal Woodard made it an even playing field after dropping Stephanie Wagner and Wendy Zhang, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot.
Miami jumped out to a 2-0 advantage after picking up a singles win on court three. Woodard faced No. 80 Zhang and fell, 6-0, 6-2. Fuentes then defeated Prokhnevska, 6-0, 6-0 on court six.
The Yellow Jackets faced top 10 opponents on courts one and two. Hourigan battled against No. 7 Lohan but fell, 6-4, 6-2 at the number one spot. No. 92 McAdoo was paired up against No. 9 Wagner. Wagner won the first set 6-4 but McAdoo rebounded in set two, edging Wagner, 7-6 (7-5). Wagner prevailed, 1-0 (10-8) in the tiebreaker.
On court four, Prokopuik represented the Jackets against Clara Tanielian but lost, 6-2, 6-1. Anton-Ohlmeyer forced a tiebreaker in set one against Madcur on court five, but ultimately fell 7-6 (7-2), 6-3.
The Yellow Jackets return home on Sunday to host two local opponents in a double header. Tech faces Mercer at 11 a.m. and will welcome Kennesaw State at 4 p.m.
Georgia Tech vs Miami
Jan 29, 2016 at Coral Gables
(Neil Schiff Tennis Center)
#11 Miami 7, #24 Georgia Tech 0
- #7 Sinead Lohan (UM) def. Paige Hourigan (GT) 6-4, 6-2
- #9 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. #92 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-8)
- #80 Wendy Zhang (UM) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-0, 6-2
- Clara Tanielian (UM) def. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 6-2, 6-1
- Ana Madcur (UM) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
- Silvia Fuentes (UM) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-0, 6-0
- #35 Paige Hourigan/Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Stephanie Wagner/Wendy Zhang (UM) 6-2
- Sinead Lohan/Ana Madcur (UM) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-1
- Silvia Fuentes/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 6-3
Georgia Tech 2-2; National ranking #24
Miami 3-0; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,6,1,4,5,2)