Jan. 27, 2013
LINCOLN, NEB. – The 22nd-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (2-1) earned a 4-2 win over the 23rd-ranked Tennessee Lady Volunteers (0-2) in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend hosted by the University of Nebraska Sunday afternoon.
Freshman Megan Kurey clinched her first career match for Georgia Tech with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Joanna Henderson at No. 4 singles play.
“It was a great win for us today,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “We played well in doubles and competed hard on all courts in singles. Natasha and Muriel got big victories, and Megan clinched the match with a straight set victory at number four. We now have to get ready for a tough match on Saturday against Vanderbilt.”
Georgia Tech won the doubles point for the third time in three dual matches this spring against Tennessee.
Kurey and classmate Kendal Woodard clinched the first point of the day with an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles over the Lady Vols’ Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams. The two rookies earned their seventh doubles win of the year and improved to 3-0 in dual matches.
Tennessee earned its first point of the day when 23rd-ranked Byrnn Boren topped Tech’s 39th-ranked Elizabeth Kilborn 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. The Lady Vols took a 2-1 lead when 25th-ranked Kata Szekely bested Tech’s Woodard 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2 singles.
Wacker tied the score 2-2 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Kayla McMurry at the No. 6 spot of the lineup. Prokhnevska put the Jackets back in the lead with a tough 7-5, 6-3 victory over Tiffany Tavares at No. 5 singles before Kurey clinched the Jacket win.
Georgia Tech will return to Atlanta to take on No. 25 Vanderbilt at noon on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. The match is free and open to the public.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women’s tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
No. 22 Georgia Tech vs. No. No. 23 Tennessee
1. #23 Brynn Boren (UT) def. #39 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 6-1, 6-3
2. #25 Kata Szekely (UT) def. Kendal Woodard (GT), 6-3, 6-2
3. Alex Anghelescu (GT) vs. Caitlyn Williams (UT), 6-7 (8), 0-2
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Joanna Henderson (UT), 6-2, 6-3
5. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT), 7-5, 6-3
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Kayla McMurry (UT), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 1,2,6,5,4,3
1. #12 Brynn Boren / Kata Szekely (UT) def. Elizabeth Kilborn / Alex Anghelescu (GT), 8-4
2. Megan Kurey / Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Joanna Henderson / Caitlyn Williams (UT), 8-6
3. Muriel Wacker / Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Sarah Toti / Tiffany Tavares (UT), 8-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2