Feb. 26, 2012
South Bend, Ind. – The 16th-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (5-5) couldn’t repeat Friday’s comeback effort in a 4-3 loss to the 23rd-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish (8-3) Sunday morning at the Eck Tennis Pavilion on the Notre Dame campus in South Bend, Ind.
The Irish got on the board with an 8-3 win on court two doubles by Britney Sanders and Julie Sabacinski over Tech’s Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn. It is only the third loss of the year for the Jacket duo who broke into the national rankings at No. 54 in the latest ITA poll.
Notre Dame clinched the first point of the day with an 8-5 win by the third-ranked team of Kristy Frilling and Shannon Mathews over the ninth-ranked Jacket pair of Jillian O’Neill and Alex Anghelescu on court one.
Sanders extended Notre Dame’s lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Tech’s Lynn Blau on court four. Sophomore Muriel Wacker earned the Yellow Jackets first point with a 6-3, 6-2 win over ND’s Katherine White on court six.
O’Neill, ranked No. 47, topped the Irish’s Mathews, ranked No. 39, in a three-set battle, 2-6, 6-0, 6-3, to tie the team score 2-2. It is the second time in as many matches the Jackets have rallied from down 2-0 to level the team score.
Notre Dame re-gained the advantage with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court three by No. 124-ranked Kellner over the Jackets’ Ngo. McGaffigan clinched the Irish win with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Tech freshman Jasmine Minor on court five. Kilborn would rally for her second three-set win in as many matches when she downed Frilling 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 on court two to make the final team score 4-3.
The Yellow Jackets are now off until March 7 when they open the ACC portion of their schedule at home against the Clemson Tigers in a 2 p.m. match at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women’s tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
#16 Georgia Tech at #23 Notre Dame
Feb. 26, 2012, in South Bend, Ind.
#23 Notre Dame 4, #16 Georgia Tech 3
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3)
1. #3 Kristy Frilling / Shannon Mathews (ND) def. #9 Jillian O’Neill / Alex Anghelescu (GT), 8-5
2. Britney Sanders / Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. #54 Lynn Blau / Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 8-3
3. Jennifer Kellner / Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Viet Ha Ngo / Muriel Wacker (GT), 9-7
Singles (Order of Finish: (4, 6, 1, 3, 5, 2)
1. #47 Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. #39 Shannon Mathews (ND), 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. #91 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Kristy Frilling (ND), 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. #124 Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Viet Ha Ngo (GT), 6-3, 6-1
4. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Lynn Blau (GT), 6-3, 6-2
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Jasmine Minor (GT), 7-6, 6-3
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Katherine White (ND), 6-3, 6-2
Georgia Tech 5-5, national ranking #16
Notre Dame 8-3, national ranking #23
— RamblinWreck.com —