March 11, 2006
ATLANTA – Alison Silverio led No. 15 Georgia Tech (9-2, 2-0 ACC) to a 7-0 sweep of the No. 71 Virginia Tech Hokies (10-4, 0-2 ACC) with wins at No. 3 singles and No. 3 doubles Saturday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Silverio, ranked No. 50 in the latest singles poll, defeated Ashley James, 6-2, 6-2 as the first singles finisher on the afternoon, and senior 74th-ranked Kelly Anderson gave Tech a 3-0 lead in the match with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Jessica Long at the No. 5 singles slot.
Rookie Christy Striplin then clinched the match for the Jackets, winning 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 6 position, before Lyndsay Shosho put Tech up 5-0 with a 6-0, 6-2 victory against Anat Elazari at No. 2 singles.
No. 2 Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray then finished off the sweep of the Hokies, with Miller winning a 6-1, 6-3 match over Inga Beermann at the top singles slot and McCray battling for a 6-3, 7-5 victory over J. J. Larson at No. 4.
The Yellow Jackets took a 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches to begin the afternoon. Silverio and Kacie Anson were the first to finish, with an 8-2 victory over James and Long at the No. 3 doubles position, before 12th-ranked Miller and Shosho came back after dropping their first game to Elazari and Larson to win 8-1 at the top slot. No. 47 Anderson and McCray then finished off the doubles sweep for the Yellow Jackets with an 8-5 victory over Beermann and Walker at the No. 2 spot.
The Yellow Jackets will return to action Sunday morning when they host No. 64 Virginia at 11 a.m. at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. Livestats for the match will be available at www.ramblinwreck.com.
Tennis Match Results
Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech
Mar 11, 2006 at Atlanta, Ga.
#15 Georgia Tech 7, #71 Virginia Tech 0
1. #2 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Inga Beermann (VT) 6-1, 6-3
2. #56 Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Anat Elazari (VT) 6-0, 6-2
3. #50 Alison Silverio (GT) def. Ashley James (VT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Whitney McCray (GT) def. J. J. Larson (VT) 6-3, 7-5
5. #74 Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Jessica Long (VT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Christy Striplin (GT) def. Abbey Walker (VT) 6-2, 6-3
1. #12 Miller/ Shosho (GT) def. Elazari/J. J. Larson (VT) 8-1
2. #47 Anderson/ McCray (GT) def. Beermann/ Walker (VT) 8-5
3. Kacie Anson/ Silverio (GT) def. Ashley James/ Long (VT) 8-2
Virginia Tech 10-4, 0-2 ACC; National ranking #71
Georgia Tech 9-2, 2-0 ACC; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,5,6,2,1,4)