April 9, 2006
DURHAM, NC – Sophomore Kristi Miller continued her strong play in singles and doubles, but it wasn’t enough as the Yellow Jackets dropped their second-straight match to Duke (15-5, 8-1 ACC), 5-2, Sunday afternoon at the Ambler Tennis Stadium. With the loss, the Jackets drop to 16-5 on the season and 7-2 in ACC play.
The Jackets began the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches. Tech’s No. 3 duo of Kacie Anson and Alison Silverio began with an 8-5 win over Tara Iyer and Jessi Robinson before 16th-ranked Lyndsay Shosho and Miller stopped Duke’s top tandem of Daniela Bercek and Jennifer Zika, 9-8 (2). Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray completed the doubles sweep for the Jackets with an 8-6 victory over Jackie Carleton and Melissa Mang at the second doubles slot.
Tech went up 2-0 in the match after top-ranked Miller stopped the Blue Devils sixth-ranked Bercek, 7-5, 6-2, at the top singles slot, but Duke swept the next five singles matches to its 29th victory in the series against Georgia Tech.
Four of Duke’s five singles wins came in three-set matches, three of which were decided by two games.
The Yellow Jackets will return to Atlanta to conclude the regular season next weekend, hosting Wake Forest and NC State at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. Livestats for both matches will be available at www.ramblinwreck.com.
#14 Duke 5, #12 Georgia Tech 2
1. #1 Kristi Miller (GT) d. #6 Daniela Bercek (Duke), 7-5, 6-2
2. #29 Jackie Carleton (Duke) d. #52 Lyndsay Shosho (GT), 6-3, 6-4
3. #109 Melissa Mang (Duke) d. #62 Alison Silverio (GT), 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
4. #70 Tara Iyer (Duke) d. #94 Kelly Anderson (GT), 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
5. Jessi Robinson (Duke) d. Whitney McCray (GT), 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
6. #103 Clelia Deltour (Duke) d. Christy Striplin (GT), 7-6, 6-1
1. #16 Miller/Shosho d. Bercek/Zika (Duke), 9-8(2)
2. Anderson/McCray (GT) d. Carleton/Mang (Duke) 8-6
3. Anson/Silverio (GT) d. Iyer/Robinson (Duke) 8-5
Duke (15-5, 8-1 ACC)
Georgia Tech (16-5, 7-2 ACC)
Order of Finish:
Singles: 1,6,2,4,5*, 3