Feb. 17, 2008
Christy Striplin and Noelle Hickey opened the match with an 8-0 doubles win and seniors Whitney McCray and Kristi Miller won in singles to lead No. 1 Georgia Tech (7-1) to a 6-1 win against No. 29 Kentucky (7-2) Sunday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Striplin and Hickey improved to 14-5 on the season and 7-1 in dual matches with their sweep of Megan Broderick and Sarah Woestmann. Kristi Miller and Kirsten Flower finished next with an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles over the 20th-ranked pair of Carolina Escamilla and Christine Johnston, giving Georgia Tech a 1-0 lead in the match. Whitney McCray and Sasha Krupina then finished off the doubles sweep with an 8-7 (7-5) tiebreaker victory in the No. 3 spot.
Tech extended its lead to 2-0 when Maya Johansson won in the No. 6 singles spot after Lauren Meier retired with an injury. No. 22 ranked McCray pushed the score to 3-0 with her victory and Miller clinched the victory with a 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 1 singles. Hickey closed the match with a 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 5 singles spot.
“We were pleased to be able to play outside and get our first outdoor win of the season,” head coach BryanShelton said. “The conditions didn’t allow us to play great tennis, but we got the job done. It’s nice to get a win after winning the ITA Indoor Title last week and I am happy to see our girls step up against tough Kentucky team. We are looking forward to a big match next weekend with Georgia coming to town.”
Tech will be back in action next Saturday, February 23 when the 4th-ranked Georgia Bulldogs travel to Atlanta. The match is scheduled to start at 1:00 p.m.
– RamblinWreck.com –
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky vs Georgia Tech
Feb 17, 2008 at Atlanta, Ga.
#1 Georgia Tech 6, #29 Kentucky 1
1. #7 Kristi Miller (GT) def. #69 Sarah Woestmann (UK) 6-1, 7-5
2. #22 Whitney McCray (GT) def. Carolina Escamilla (UK) 6-3, 6-2
3. Megan Broderick (UK) def. #38 Christy Striplin (GT) 1-6, 6-3, (10-6 tiebreaker for third set)
4. Kirsten Flower (GT) def. Alaina Trgovich (UK) 6-2, 4-6, (10-4 tiebreaker for third set)
5. #56 Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Christine Johnston (UK) 6-4, 6-4
6. #6 Maya Johansson (GT) def. Lauren Meier (UK) 4-3, retired
1. Kristi Miller/Kirsten Flower (GT) def. #20 Carolina Escamilla/Christine Johnston (UK) 8-2
2. Noelle Hickey/Christy Striplin (GT) def. Sarah Woestmann/Megan Broderick (UK) 8-0
3. Whitney McCray/Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Lauren Meier/Alaina Trgovich (UK) 8-7 (7-5)
Kentucky 7-2; National ranking #29
Georgia Tech 7-1; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,2,1,3,4,5)
T-3.5 hrs A-274