Nov. 28, 2007
IOWA CITY, Iowa – Chioma Nnamaka knocked down five three-point field goals on her way to a game-high 24 points to lead Georgia Tech (5-0) to a 76-57 win over Iowa (4-2) in the inaugural Big Ten/ACC Challenge at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday night.
With the score tied at 50, Tech went on a 26-7 run over the final 7:12 to close out the game. Nnamaka scored 17 of her 24 points in the second half to help the Jackets pull away from the Hawkeyes.
Janie Mitchell scored 18 points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds for her 14th career double-double and Brigitte Ardossi added 14 points off the bench, including nine in the second half, to help Tech earn the win over a taller Iowa squad. The Yellow Jackets outrebounded the Hawkeyes 35-32 and forced 26 Iowa turnovers.
Wendy Ausdemore put up 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds and Krisa VanderVenter also finished with eight boards for the Hawkeyes in a losing effort.
The Jackets registered 10 steals on their way to a 29-26 halftime lead. Tech scored 18 points off turnovers and Jacqua Williams, Tech’s individual season record-holder for steals, finished with five first half steals. In an effort to thwart the tall Hawkeye attack, head coach MaChelle Joseph called for Ardossi, who delivered with five points in nine minutes.
Tech returns to action this Sunday, Dec. 2 when they face in-state rival Georgia in Athens, Ga. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:30 p.m., and the game will be televised on CSS.
– RamblinWreck.com –
– Jacqua Williams finished with a career-high seven steals to bring her career total to 159 and 13 away from Tech’s all-time top 10.
– Janie Mitchell’s 18 points leaves her 30 points away from 1,000 for her career.
– Mitchell recorded her 14th career double-double in win.
– Chioma Nnamaka has scored 20+ points in three of the Jackets first five games on the season.
– With this win, the Jackets start the season 5-0 for the third time in five years under head coach MaChelle Joseph.