SOUTH BEND, Ind. –The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team (10-10, 5-6) fell to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 4-1 on Friday afternoon at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
The loss puts the Jackets at .500 for the season with one match to go against Boston College.
The Jackets dropped the doubles point despite a great effort from Carlos Divar/Phillip Gresk, causing the Jackets to trail 1-0 at the beginning of singles play.
In singles, Gresk put the Jackets on the board after defeating No. 59 Richard Ciamarra, 6-3, 6-4.
Pablo Schelcher and Cole Gromley both dropped tough matches. Schelcher fell to Matt Gamble, 6-3, 7-6, while Gromley was bested by William Howells, 7-6, 6-2.
Brandon Freestone fell to Grayson Broadus, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0, clinching a 4-1 victory for the Fighting Irish.
The Jackets will be back in action on Sunday afternoon when they visit Boston College at the Flynn Recreation Complex at 12 p.m.
1. Axel Nefve (ND) vs. #62 Carlos Divar (GT) 6-1, 6-7, 4-5, unfinished
2. #109 Guillermo Cabrera (ND) vs. Andrew Li (GT) 4-6, 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
3. Phillip Gresk (GT) def. #59 Richard Ciamarra (ND) 6-3, 6-4
4. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Pablo Schelcher (GT) 6-3, 7-6
5. William Howells (ND) def. Cole Gromley (GT) 7-6, 6-2
6. Grayson Broadus (ND) def. Brandon Freestone (GT) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
1. Richard Ciamarra/Axel Nefve (ND) vs. #72 Carlos Divar/Phillip Gresk (GT) 4-4, unfinished
2. Grayson Broadus/Matt Gamble (ND) def. Cole Gromley/Zummy Bauer (GT) 6-1
3. Guillermo Cabrera/William Howells (ND) def. Pablo Schelcher/Joseph Gandolfo (GT) 6-2