April 4, 2008
ATLANTA – The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team (12-9, 2-6 ACC) outlasted Boston College (7-14, 0-8), 6-1, in a six-hour match to snap its four-game losing streak Friday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
After beginning their match outside, the No. 43-ranked doubles tandem of Scott Blackmon and Ryan Smith moved inside due to rain and earned a quick 8-3 win over Brian Garber and Sam Wagner at the top spot in the lineup. The Yellow Jackets picked up the doubles point after Guillermo Gomez and George Gvelesiani pulled away from Erik Kreutzer and Jason Sechrist, 8-4. Eliot Potvin and Miguel Mugurza sealed the three-match sweep for the Jackets after holding off Thomas Nolan and Adam Davison, 8-7 (7-2), from the No. 3 doubles position.
Tech moved ahead 2-0 when Gomez knocked off Alex Rastorgoueve, 6-3, 6-0, at the No. 1 spot. Eliot Potvin gave the Jackets a commanding 3-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Thomas Nolan on court two. The Eagles got back within two after Sechrist outlasted Blackmon, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2, at the No. 3 position.
Muguruza earned the deciding point for the Jackets when he defeated Davison, 6-2, 6-1, fifth spot in the lineup. Ryan Smith pushed the score to 5-1 when he got past Erik Kreutzer, 7-6, 6-3, at the No. 4 singles position. In the No. 6 spot, Doug Kenny earned a hard-fought 5-7, 7-5, 10-8 win over Brian Locklear.
“I thought we played some good doubles at the top two spots today and fought back in the third match,” head coach Kenny Thorne said. “Guillermo and Eliot played very good singles matches. Overall, I believe we need to start a little quicker in singles. The competitive mind-sets were very good out there. I give credit to Boston College for playing such a good tough match inside.”
The Jackets will make their final appearance of the season at the Bill Moore Tennis Center Sunday when they face Maryland at 2 p.m. Tech will honor its four seniors following the doubles match.
– RamblinWreck.com –
Tennis Match Results
Boston College vs Georgia Tech
Apr 04, 2008 at Atlanta, Ga.
#50 Georgia Tech 6, Boston College 1
1. #70 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. Alex Rastorgouev (BC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Thomas Nolan (BC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jason Sechrist (BC) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
4. Ryan Smith (GT) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
5. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Adam Davison (BC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Doug Kenny (GT) def. Brian Locklear (BC) 5-7, 7-5, 10-8
1. #43 Scott Blackmon/Ryan Smith (GT) def. Brian Garber/Sam Wagner (BC) 8-3
2. Guillermo Gomez/George Gvelesiani (GT) def. Erik Kreutzer/Jason Sechrist (BC) 8-4
3. Eliot Potvin/Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Thomas Nolan/Adam Davison (BC) 8-7 (7-2)
Boston College 7-14, 0-8 ACC
Georgia Tech 12-9, 2-6 ACC; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)