ATLANTA (Mar. 22) — Romain Coirault came back after losing the second set to beat James Moeckel of Furman 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 and clinch a win for Georgia Tech in men’s tennis action on Wednesday at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. The win over the Paladins (13-9) is the fourth in the last five matches for the Jackets (6-7, 1-1 ACC).
Georgia Tech started the afternoon by sweeping doubles play. Jackets Tim Bibby and Romain Coirault defeated James Cameron and John Chesworth 8-4 in the No. 1 spot. Tech’s pairs of Jason Jeong and Sergio Aguirre and David Wright and Roger Anderson grabbed the other two wins to get the point.
In singles play, Roger Anderson made quick work of the No. 3 spot, beating Paladin Drew Parker 6-2, 6-1. Robert Wright also got a singles victory over Patrick Gaughan 6-3, 6-4.
The Jackets will remain at home to resume ACC play against Clemson at 2:30 p.m. next Tuesday March 29.
No. 70 Georgia Tech 4, Furman 3
1. Bibby/Coirault (GT) d. Cameron/Chesworth (FU) 8-4
2. Aguirre/Jeong (GT) d. Parker/Nickell (FU) 9-8
3. Anderson/D. Wright (GT) d. Navarro/Hauser (FU) 8-4
1. Lee Nickell (FU) d. Sergio Aguirre (GT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. James Cameron (FU) d. Jason Jeong (GT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Roger Anderson (GT) d. Drew Parker (FU) 6-2, 6-1
4. John Chesworth (FU) d. David Wright (GT) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Robert Wright (GT) d. Patrick Gaughan (FU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Romain Coirault (GT) d. James Moeckel (FU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3