CARY, N.C. — The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team (11-11, 6-6) dropped their second-round match in the ACC Men’s Tennis Championship to Louisville, 4-3 on Thursday afternoon at the Cary Tennis Park.
The Jackets lost a tough doubles point despite a great effort from the team. Chris Yun/Pablo Schelcher fell to Sergio Hernandez/Alex Wesbrooks, 6-4, and No. 61 Carlos Divar/Phillip Gresk also fell 6-4, dropping their match to Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff/Fabien Salle.
In singles, the Jackets took a 2-1 lead after Cole Gromley defeated David Mizrahi, 6-4, 6-1, and No. 120 Gresk bested Hernandez, 7-6, 6-2.
However, the Cardinals came back to win the next two matches to a claim a 3-2 lead. Yun lost a tough match to Salle, 7-5, 6-3, and Schelcher dropped a 7-6, 6-3 match to Federico Gomez.
With the Jackets needing to win the final two matches Divar and Andrew Li were both battling it out in the third set.
Divar would prevail to tie the match at three apiece after he beat Morin-Kougoucheff, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Li, however, fell to Brandon Lancaster in a three-set battle 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, clinching a 4-3 victory for the Cardinals.
The Jackets will wait for Monday, April 29 when the NCAA announces the teams that are selected to participate in the NCAA Men’s Tennis Championship.
1. #29 Carlos Divar (GT) def. C. Morin-Kougoucheff (UL) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Brandon Lancaster (UL) def. Andrew Li (GT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. #120 Phillip Gresk (GT) def. Sergio Hernandez (UL) 7-6, 6-2
4. Fabien Salle (UL) def. Chris Yun (GT) 7-5, 6-3
5. Federico Gomez (UL) def. Pablo Schelcher (GT) 7-6, 6-3
6. Cole Gromley (GT) def. David Mizrahi (UL) 6-4, 6-1
1. C. Morin-Kougoucheff and Fabien Salle (UL) def. #61 Carlos Divar and Phillip Gresk (GT) 6-4
2. Andrew Li and Cole Gromley (GT) vs. George Hedley and Federico Gomez (UL); the match was unfinished: 4-5
3. Sergio Hernandez and Alex Wesbrooks (UL) def. Chris Yun and Pablo Schelcher (GT) 6-4