March 15, 2014
DEDHAM, Mass. – The #19-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (6-3, 3-2 ACC) fell short at #45 Boston College, 4-3, during a match that lasted five and a half hours this evening.
“Boston College out played us and out-competed us today,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “They played better than we did. They handled the situation when they match got tight better than us. They deserved to win the match. We are going to have to regroup and play against Maryland on Sunday.”
The Yellow Jackets won the doubles point for the sixth time this season thanks to two Tech wins on court one and court three. The #3-rankd Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard rolled to an 8-2 victory against Sarah Dalton and Heini Salonen. Freshmen Rasheeda McAdoo and Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer would secure Tech’s first point with an 8-6 win against Wan-Yi Sweeting and Jessica Wacnik on court three.
Kurey stayed undefeated against the Eagles, winning her singles match on court four against Emily Safron, 7-6 (5), 6-0. Senior Muriel Wacker also captured a singles win against Boston College, winning in straight sets against Jennifer Ren, 6-1, 6-4.
The Eagles ultimately won four singles matches, handing the Jackets their second ACC loss of the season. Sophomore Natasha Porkhnevska fell on court on to Wacnik, 6-3, 6-3. On court two, Woodard suffered a 6-4, 6-3 loss to Katya Vasilyev. McAdoo was defeated by Lexi Boor, 6-2, 6-2 at the number three spot.
Wan-Yi Sweeting clinched the win for the Eagles on court six with a 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 win against Anton-Ohlmeyer on court six.
The Yellow Jackets return to the court on Sunday when they travel to Maryland at noon.
Georgia Tech vs Boston College
Mar 15, 2014 at Dedham, Mass.
(Dedham Health and Fitness Club)
#45 Boston College 4, #19 Georgia Tech 3
Singles competition 1. Jessica Wacnik (BC) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Katya Vasliyev (BC) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Lexi Boor (BC) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Megan Kurey (GT) vs. Emily Safron (BC) 7-6 (5), 6-0
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Jennifer Ren (BC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
Doubles competition 1. #3 Megan Kurey/Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Sarah Dalton/Heini Salonen (BC) 8-2
2. Lexi Boor/Katya Vasliyev (BC) def. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) 8-5
3. Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Wan-Yi Sweeting/Jessica Wacnik (BC) 8-6 Match Notes: Georgia Tech 6-3; National ranking #19 Boston College 9-4; National ranking #45 –RamblinWreck.com–