Jan. 29, 2011
ATLANTA – Strong performances by juniors Viet Ha Ngo and Jillian O’Neill powered the No. 13 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets to a 5-2 victory over the No. 30 Iowa Hawkeyes. With the win, Tech improves to 2-0 on the early dual season, and Iowa falls to 1-1.
The Jackets got ahead early, taking the doubles point. Ngo and O’Neill posted the first result of the day at #2 doubles, beating Iowa’s Jessica Cohen and Alexis Dorr 8-2. Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn won their match shortly after at #3 doubles to clinch the first point.
Ngo continued her strong play on the day, winning the point at #1 singles. She beat Sonja Molnar in convincing fashion, winning 6-1, 6-0. O’Neill, Ngo’s doubles partner, gave the Jackets a 3-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Dorr at the #3 position.
Junior Caroline Lilley clinched a win for Tech at #2 singles, beating Jessica Young 7-5, 6-1. Christina Harazin gave Iowa its first point of the day with a win over Elizabeth Kilborn at #6 singles, winning 6-3, 6-4.
The Jackets return to action tomorrow afternoon in the championship of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. They will face South Florida, who beat Illinois earlier on Saturday. The winner of tomorrow’s match will head to Charlottesville, VA to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships. Admission is free and the match will begin at 2 p.m. For more information, please visit RamblinWreck.com or follow us on Twitter, @GT_WTEN.
Fans attending tomorrow’s match are asked to be aware of limited parking on Sunday. With the men’s basketball team hosting Maryland at 7:45 Sunday night, parking in Alexander Memorial Coliseum lot, O’Keefe lot and along Fowler Street will all be regulated by permit beginning at 5 p.m. Cars parked in those areas without a permit will be removed beginning at 5. Fans are suggested to park in Peter’s parking deck.
#13 Georgia Tech 5, #30 Iowa 2
1. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Sonja Molnar (Iowa), 6-1, 6-0
2. Caroline Lilley (GT) def. Jessica Young (Iowa), 7-5, 6-1
3. Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa), 6-0, 6-2
4. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa), 6-1, 6-4
5. Jessica Cohen (Iowa) def. Sasha Krupina (GT), 6-4, 6-2
6. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-3, 6-4
1. Lilley/Krupina (GT) vs. Molnar/Young (Iowa), 6-6
2. Ngo/O’Neill (GT) def. Cohen/Dorr (Iowa), 8-2
3. Blau/Kilborn (GT) def. Poggensee-Wei/Harazin (Iowa), 8-2
— RamblinWreck.com —