THE FLATS – Georgia Tech diving and women’s swimming got fully underway on Thursday as the ACC Championships entered its second day at the Greensboro Aquatic Center.
The Yellow Jackets finished the day ninth overall with 147 points, just 34 points behind Virginia Tech in eighth and half a point ahead of Miami.
Georgia Tech returns to action on Friday at the ACC Championships, competing in the 100 fly, 400 IM, 200 free, 100 breast and 100 back, while also racing the 400 medley relay. The men’s divers will have an off day while the women’s team competes in the platform. Prelims begin at 10 a.m. while finals start at 6 p.m. and are broadcast live on ACC Network Extra.
Junior Emily Ilgenfritz led the way by finishing ninth overall in the 500 free prelims and breaking her own school record with a time of 4.44.66. She then went on to finish fourth in the B final, swimming a 4:45.30.
The 200 free relay team featured the squad of Grace Mauldin, Celine Nugent, Catriona MacGregor and Allie Paschal swim a 1:32.56 to finish 11th. Mauldin split a personal-best 23.27 to start the race before Paschal turned in a 22.76 final split to finish the race strong.
Georgia Tech also had strong showings in the preliminaries as the Yellow Jackets raced eight career bests and two season bests.
Men’s Diving Highlights
Senior Matt Casillas broke into the finals on Thursday night, scoring a 327.80 in the 3-meter prelims to finish sixth overall. He then finished seventh overall in the finals after tallying a final score of 309.50. Jacob Kreider was the next-highest diver for Tech in the prelims with a score of 235.30, while Nolan Mallet turned in a 222.20.
* Junior Emily Ilgenfritz finished ninth in the 500 free prelims with a school-record time of 4:44.66, — also an NCAA B cut. She then recorded another NCAA B qualifying time, finishing fourth in the B final with a 4:45.30.
* Freshman Maddie Hadd finished with a career-best time of 4:57.90 in the 500 free prelims.
* Sophomore Catriona MacGregor recorded a career-best time of 2:00.94 in the 200 IM prelims.
* Freshman Nicole Williams turned in a career time as well with a time of 2:05.29 in the 200 IM prelims.
* Sophomore Grace Mauldin swam a career-best time of 23.57 in the 50 free prelims. She then broke that personal record in the 200 free relay by splitting 23.27 to open.
* Sophomore Celine Nugent recorded a personal-best time of 23.65 in the 50 free prelims.
* Junior Caroline Lee swam a season-best time of 23.99 in the 50 free prelims.
* Sophomore Allie Paschal turned in a career-best time of 23.71 in the 50 free prelims.
* Senior Sara Gilbert tied her season-best time with a 23.72 in the 50 free prelims.
* Freshman Jami Williams turned in a career-best time of 23.74 in the 50 free prelims.
For the latest information on Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Swimming & Diving, follow us on Twitter (@GTSwimDive), Instagram (@GTSwimDive), and Facebook (Georgia Tech Swimming & Diving) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.