CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (April 8) — The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 19 North Carolina in Chapel Hill on Saturday, April 8. The win extends the Tar Heels (13-2, 4-0) winning streak to ten. The Jacket came into this weekend having won eight of their last ten. Their record fell to 10-9 overall and 4-2 in the ACC.
The Jackets started out the day by losing all three doubles matches. Tech’s pair of David Wright and Roger Anderson put up a fight in the No. 3 spot before falling to UNCs Marcio Petrone and Tyne Brownlow, 9-8. Jackets Sergio Aguirre and Jason Jeong took the loss in the No. 2 spot to Tripp Phillips and David Cheatwood 8-2.
There was a bright spot for the Jackets in singles play as Romain Coirault defeated Carolina’s Chad Riley in the No. 6 spot 6-4, 3-6, 7-5. David Wright of Tech lost a battle to Marcio Petrone in the No. 4 spot 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
The Jackets will look to return to their winning ways Sunday as they travel to Winston-Salem to take on Wake Forest.
No. 54 Georgia Tech , No. 19 North Carolina
April 8, 2000
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1. No. 41 Tripp Phillips (UNC) d. Sergio Aguirre (GT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Assaf Drori (UNC) d. Roger Anderson (GT) 6-4, 6-2
3. David Cheatwood (UNC) d. Jason Jeong (GT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mercio Petrone (UNC) d. David Wright (GT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Trystan Menine (UNC) d. Robert Wright (GT) 7-5, 3-2 Retired
6. Romain Coirault (GT) d. Chad Riley (UNC) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
1. Greg Archer/Drori (UNC) d. Tim Bibby/Coirault (GT) 8-6
2. Phillips/Cheatwwod (UNC) d. Aguirre/Jeongt (GT) 8-2
3. Petrone/Tyne Brownlow (UNC) d. D. Wright/ Anderson (GT) 9-8