May 14, 2011
ATLANTA – Jacqueline Cako won an epic three-set match, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, over Connor Vogel at No. 2 singles, lifting 17th-ranked Arizona State past No. 40 Mississippi, 4-3, Saturday in a first-round match of the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
In a match that lasted more than 3-1/2 hours, more than an hour after all the other matches were completed, the 12th-ranked Cako broke Vogel twice in the third set, including the 11th game that put her ahead, 6-5. Serving for the match, Cako won the last game easily, serving an ace to finish off her opponent.
The Sun Devils (15-6) advanced to the second round of the championship, where they will face either host Georgia Tech or Jacksonville State at 1 p.m. Sunday. Mississippi’s season ended at 11-11.
It appeared early on that Arizona State would race to an easy win, capturing the doubles point and then winning two of the first three singles matches in straight sets. On court 3, 110th-ranked Caroline Rohde-Moe downed No. 70 Micaela Hein, 6-4, 6-3 to get ASU up 2-0. After Ole Miss’ Abby Guthrie got the Rebels on the board with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Michelle Brycki at fifth singles, Sianna Simmons made it 3-1 in favor of the Sun Devils with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Vivian Vlaar on court 6.
Mississippi pulled even, however, with a couple of three-set wins. Hannah James rallied from a first-set loss to defeat Laura van de Stroet, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, at court 4, and 34th-ranked Kristi Boxx defeated No. 19 Kelcy McKenna, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, at first singles.
In doubles, Hein and McKenna, ranked 25th in the nation, were taken to the limit by Boxx and Guthrie at No. 1, but the Sun Devil tandem prevailed, 8-6, after the teams had split two quickly played matches on courts 2 and 3. Brycki and James routed Vogel and Rohde-Moe, 8-2, at third doubles, but ASU’s 67th-ranked team of Brown and Simmons lost to Rangel and van de Stroet by the same score at No. 2.
NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship
First Round – May 14, 2011
Bill Moore Tennis Center, Atlanta, Ga.
#17 Arizona State 4, #40 Mississippi 3
1. #34 Kristi Boxx (MISS) def. #19 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. #12 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Connor Vogel (MISS) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. #70 Micaela Hein (ASU) def. #110 Caroline Rohde-Moe (MISS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Laura van de Stroet (MISS) def. Hannah James (ASU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Abby Guthrie (MISS) def. MIchelle Brycki (ASU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Sianna Simmons (ASU) def. Vivian Vlaar (MISS) 6-4, 6-4
1. #25 Micaela Hein/Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Kristi Boxx/Abby Guthrie (MISS) 8-6
2. Gabby Rangel/Laura van de Stroet (MISS) def. #67 Ashlee Brown/Sianna Simmons (ASU) 8-2
3. MIchelle Brycki/Hannah James (ASU) def. Connor Vogel/Caroline Rohde-Moe (MISS) 8-2
Mississippi 11-10; National ranking #40
Arizona State 14-6; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,6,4,1,2)
2011 NCAA Tournament – First Round