THE FLATS – No. 13 Georgia Tech women’s tennis earned the doubles point, but Auburn claimed four singles matches to capture a 4-3 win Sunday morning to conclude ITA Kick-Off Weekend action.
DOUBLES ACTION: Auburn walked away with the first doubles win coming on court three, but the Jackets fought back to claim the remaining two matches. Finishing first, Tech’s No. 39 Victoria Flores and Valeriya Deminova evened the playing field with a 6-4 win over Madeline Meredith and Jaeda Daniel, leaving the doubles point to be decided on court one where Kenya Jones and Jeanette Lin stood tied with Auburn’s No. 14 Sophia Graver/Taylor Russo, 4-4. The doubles tandems traded points to remain knotted at 5-all before the Jackets took a 6-5 edge. Tech broke Auburn to take the match, 7-5, and clinch the early lead for the Jackets.
SINGLES ACTION: The Jackets quickly took a 2-0 match lead when No. 24 Jones cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 victory over No. 61 Jaeda Daniel from court one, but the Tigers got on the board with a win on court two. Claiming a victory on court five, Auburn tied the match at 2-all before Lin returned the lead to Tech, 3-2. Lin collected a three-set win over Meredith, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0, but Auburn claimed the final two matches in three-set battles to seal the comeback win.
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech returns to action on Wednesday, hosting Texas Tech at 3 p.m.
1. Kenya Jones/Jeanette Lin (GT) def. No. 14 Sophia Graver/Taylor Russo (AU)7-5
2. No. 39 Victoria Flores/Valeriya Deminova (GT) def. Madeline Meredith/Jaeda Daniel (AU) 6-4
3. Alannah Griffin/Yu Chen (AU) def. Gia Cohen/Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 24 Kenya Jones (GT) def. No. 61 Jaeda Daniel (AU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Sophia Graver (AU) def. Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jeanette Lin (GT) def. Madeline Meredith (AU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
4. Taylor Russo (AU) def. Gia Cohen (GT) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
5. Alannah Griffin (AU) def. Victoria Flores (GT) 6-3, 6-4
6. Yu Chen (AU) def. Valeriya Deminova (GT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,5,3,4,6