Nov. 30, 2008
BOCA RATON, Fla. – Brigitte Ardossi scored a career-high 18 points to help the Georgia Tech women’s basketball team to a 68-56 win over Tennessee Tech in the consolation game of the FAU Thanksgiving Tournament Sunday afternoon.
The Golden Eagles (1-5) came out quickly in the second half and cut the Tech lead to one with 10:13 remaining in the game but the Yellow Jackets (5-2) responded as Ardossi took over, scoring 12 straight points over the next two minutes to give the Jackets a 49-38 lead. Tennessee Tech continued to pressure the Jackets the rest of the way but the Georgia Tech defense helped preserve the victory.
“I was impressed with the poise we showed down the stretch,” head coach MaChelle Joseph said. “Jacqua and Alex stepped up and hit big three-pointers for us late in the game. It was not pretty but I was proud with our perseverance to pull out the victory.”
The Golden Eagles were led by Allison Price, who scored 15 points and grabbed five rebounds. Meagan Lyons finished with 12 points and seven rebounds.
Georgia Tech opened a 17-5 lead over the first eight minutes of the game but foul trouble and turnovers opened the door for a Golden Eagles run. The Jackets were only able to muster a 29-23 advantage at the half. Tech was whistled for 15 fouls in the first 20 minutes, sending Tennessee Tech to the free-throw line 15 times.
The Yellow Jackets return home Wednesday for a matchup with No. 24 Michigan State as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Tipoff at Alexander Memorial Coliseum is slated for 4:15 p.m.
– RamblinWreck.com –
– The Jackets finished with a season-high 32 turnovers.
– The team registered a season-low with 29 rebounds.
– Tech shot a blistering 51 percent from the field.
– Started her 64th career game in a Yellow Jacket uniform.
– Has recorded a steal in 46 straight games.
– Has hit a three-point basket in all seven of Georgia Tech’s games this season.
– Her six steals tied her season-high for a game.
– She now has 292 steals in her career.
– Her 16 points was a season-high and has scored in double-figures in six straight games.
– She failed to score in double-figures for the first time this season.
– Started first career game.
– Scored nine points and had a career-high five steals.
– Has played in 72 straight games and has started 33 of them.
– Finished with a career-high 18 points.
– Recorded a career-high six rebounds off the bench.