Dec. 26, 2010
By Jon Cooper
As promised yesterday, here are the answers to the White & Gold Bowl Quiz.
1. c. The Yellow Jackets won the 1947 Oil bowl over St. Mary’s, the ’48 and ’52 Orange Bowls over Kansas and Baylor, the ’53 and ’54 Sugar Bowls over Ole Miss and West Virginia, the ’55 Cotton Bowl over Arkansas, the ’56 Sugar and the ’56 Gator Bowl, both over PIttsburgh.
2. b. Georgia Tech has played in seven Gator Bowls, with a 3-4 record. The Orange Bowl is next, with six appearances (Tech is 3-3), then the Sugar and Chick-fil-A/Peach with four each.
3. c. The Jackets are 4-0 in the Sugar Bowl. They also are undefeated in the other three bowls, but are only 1-0 in each.
4. b. Tech won the game 52-10, while limiting the Golden Hurricane to 52 yards on the ground.
5. a. Daniels rushed for 307 yards against Tulsa in the ’04 Humanitarian Bowl. Cone was the leading rusher in Tech’s last meeting with Air Force, on Nov. 10, 1979, Snow is the school’s record-holder for the most rushing attempts in a bowl game (33 vs. Texas Tech in the 1965 Gator Bowl). Auer also is a bowl-record-holder, for longest run, a 68-yard jaunt against Penn State in the 1961 Gator.
6. True. Scott Sisson holds the record with nine points in the 1991 Citrus Bowl against Nebraska, converting six PATs and a 37-yard field goal.
7. b. Godsey completed 23 passes against Stanford in the 2001 Seattle Bowl.
8. a. Campbell caught 10 passes from Godsey in the ’01 Seattle Bowl, for 106 yards.
9. b, Anderson averaged 49.1 yards in seven kicks in last year’s Orange Bowl.
10. d. In his three bowl appearances (the ’97 Carquest, and the ’99 and ’00 Gator), Hamilton threw for 756 yards, completing 52 passes in 96 attempts.
BONUS: b. Rodgers had five scoring tosses in two bowl appearances (the ’52 Orange and ’53 Sugar).