March 30, 2008
ATLANTA – Third-ranked Georgia Tech improved to 5-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference (13-5 overall) with a 7-0 shutout of No. 30 Wake Forest (8-6) Sunday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets swept all three doubles matches and proceeded to win at all six singles positions.
“This was a really good weekend for us, in the thick of the ACC season,” Georgia Tech head coach Bryan Shelton said. “We’re looking forward to moving ahead to a tough match up against Florida State on Wednesday.”
The Georgia Tech pair of Whitney McCray and Noelle Hickey opened doubles play with an 8-2 win over Wake Forest’s Alexandra Hirsch and Emilee Malvehy in the No. 2 position. The Tech duo of Amanda McDowell and Kirsten Flower clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Christian Tara and Aileen Davis. Kristi Miller and Sasha Krupina teamed up to complete the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win over Sasha Kulikova and Ana Jerman in the No. 1 spot.
In singles play, McCray won 6-1, 7-5 over Wake’s Tara in the No. 3 spot to push the lead to 2-0. Freshman Maya Johansson made it 3-0 for the Jackets with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Davis. Miller clinched the match in the top singles position with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Hirsch.
Christy Striplin pushed the lead to 5-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Malvehy at No. 4 singles and Hickey won in the No. 5 position for Tech with a 6-4, 6-0 over Wake’s Katarina Reveche.
At No. 2 singles, McDowell battled back after being down 1-4 in the second set to push her match to a super tiebreaker. In the tiebreaker, McDowell fought her way to a 10-4 win to complete the shutout for the Jackets.
Following Tech’s match at Florida State on Wednesday, the Yellow Jackets’ next home match will come against Virginia Saturday at noon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Wake Forest vs Georgia Tech
March 30, 2008 at Atlanta, Ga.
#3 Georgia Tech 7, #30 Wake Forest 0
1. #6 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Alexandra Hirsch (WF) 6-3, 6-1
2. #4 Amanda McDowell (GT) def. Sasha Kulikova (WF) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
3. #39 Whitney McCray (GT) def. Christian Tara (WF) 6-1, 7-5
4. #79 Christy Striplin (GT) def. Emilee Malvehy (WF) 6-4, 6-2
5. #107 Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Katarina Reveche (WF) 6-4, 6-0
6. #29 Maya Johansson (GT) def. Aileen Davis (WF) 6-4, 6-1
1. Kristi Miller/Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Sasha Kulikova/Ana Jerman (WF) 8-5
2. Whitney McCray/Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Alexandra Hirsch/Emilee Malvehy (WF) 8-2
3. Kirsten Flower/Amanda McDowell (GT) def. Christian Tara/Aileen Davis (WF) 8-4
Wake Forest 8-6; National ranking #30
Georgia Tech 12-5; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,1,4,5,2)