Feb. 28, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The #19 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 in conference play after defeating #34 Florida State, 5-2, at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center this afternoon.
“We played very well against a very good Florida State team,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “I felt like we came back strong after the Georgia match. We played much better in doubles today. Natasha, Megan, Muriel and Alexa all played very well in singles.”
“We are going to enjoy the win tonight and rest up,” Harmon said. “We have to get ready to play a very tough Miami team at their place on Sunday.”
The Yellow Jackets started off the match with a 1-0 advantage after winning the doubles point. The #3 ranked doubles team of Kurey and Kendal Woodard quickly defeated Kerrie Cartwright and Daneika Borthwick on court one, 8-2. On court three, the freshmen duo of Anton-Ohlmeyer and Rasheeda McAdoo won their fourth-straight doubles match, dropping Kristina Schleich and Majlena Pedersen, 8-4.
The Seminoles came out strong in singles, winning two matches to take a 2-1 lead. #124-ranked Woodard was defeated in straight-sets, 6-2, 7-5, by Kerrie Cartwright. McAdoo also fell in straight-sets on court three to Mia Vriens, 6-3, 6-0.
A 6-4, 6-1 victory on court six by senior Muriel Wacker against Laurence Porry put the match at 2-2. Prokhnevska was victorious on court two, rolling to a 6-4, 6-3 win against Borthwick.
After winning set one, 6-3, Kurey edged opponent Daniela Schippers, 7-5, in set two to clinch the Yellow Jackets’ fifth victory this season. On court six, Anton-Ohlmeyer lost a close first set, 7-5. She bounced back in set two to win, 6-2, and fought hard to win the tiebreaker, 16-14.
The Yellow Jackets continue ACC play, traveling to #20 Miami on Sunday at noon. This will be the seventh ranked opponent out of eight matches that the Jackets have faced this season. Tech is 4-2 against nationally ranked opponents.
#19 Georgia Tech 5, #34 Florida State 2
1. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. #124 Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-2, 7-5
2. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Daneika Borthwick (FS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mia Vriens (FS) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Daniela Schippers (FS) 6-3, 7-5
5. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Kristina Schleich (FS) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (16-14)
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Laurence Porry (FS) 6-4, 6-1
1. #3 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick (FS) 8-2
2. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FS) def. #49 Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) 7-5
3. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Kristina Schleich/Majlena Pedersen (FS) 8-4
Georgia Tech 5-2; National ranking #19
Florida State 7-4; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)