Feb. 13, 2005
Columbus, OH – Kelly Anderson won at No. 2 singles and No. 1 doubles and helped Georgia Tech (3-0, 0-0 ACC) to a 5-2 match victory over Ohio State (2-4, 0-0 Big Ten) Sunday afternoon at the Jesse Owens West Recreation Center in Columbus, Ohio.
The Jackets began the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches. Anderson and junior Lyndsay Shosho, ranked No. 58 in the nation in doubles action, downed OSU’s Lindsey Adams and Sonia Ruzimovsky, 8-4, in the No. 1 slot, and Kacie Anson teamed with Dasha Potapova to defeat the Buckeyes’ Emily DeCamilla and Meredith Vincent, 9-7 at the No. 2 position. Freshmen Whitney McCray and Esther van Londen then teamed together to stop Caitlin O’Keefe and Anna Volberg, 8-4, at No. 3 doubles.
Rookie Kristi Miller put the Jackets up 2-0 in the match by defeating DeCamilla, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 1 singles, and Alison Silverio gave Tech a 3-0 lead by winning a 6-1, 6-3 match over Kristin Messmer in the No. 4 singles slot.
After Volberg won a 6-4, 6-3 decision over Potapova in the No. 3 position to pull Ohio State to within 3-1 in the match, Anderson sealed the victory for the Yellow Jackets with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Adams.
Anson then rounded out the Yellow Jackets’ scoring with a 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10) win over Lindsay Bryan at No. 6 singles.
The Yellow Jackets will return to action in Atlanta with three home matches this week. Tech will start the week with a 2 p.m. match against No. 33 Alabama on Wednesday and will follow that up with a 2 p.m. start against No. 38 Rice Thursday before wrapping up the week’s action with a 12 noon match vs. 17th-ranked Harvard on Sunday. All three matches will be played at the Bill Moore Tennis Center on the campus of Georgia Tech.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Ohio State
Feb 13, 2005 at Columbus, Ohio
#31 Georgia Tech 5, #65 Ohio State 2
1. #18 Kristi Miller (GT) def. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #79 Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Lindsey Adams (OSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. *Anna Volberg (OSU) def. Dasha Potapova (GT) 6-4, 6-3
4. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Whitney McCray (GT) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Kacie Anson (GT) def. Lindsay Bryan (OSU) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10)
Order of finish: 1,4,3,2*,5,6
* denotes clinching match
1. #58 Anderson/ Shosho (GT) def. Lindsey Adams/Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) 8-4
2. Anson/ Potapova (GT) def. Emily DeCamilla/Meredith Vincent (OSU) 9-7
3. McCray/ van Londen (GT) def. Caitlin O’Keefe/Anna Volberg (OSU) 8-4