ATLANTA – The Georgia Tech women’s tennis team shut out the Georgia State Lady Panthers, 7-0, in its first home dual match of the spring Friday afternoon at Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets swept all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point and then blanked Georgia State in the singles matches.
Sophomores Jaime Wong and Mysti Morris defeated Moijca Pavlinic and Mable Abraham, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles junior Laura Ozolins and sophomore Mason Miller topped Jovana Krsikapa and Karine Etienne, 8-2, and the freshman team of Fallon Koon and Kristen Roberson defeated GSU’s Rebecca Mitchell and Birgittte Blomberg, 8-2.
In singles play, junior Lea Miller defeated Pavlinic, 1-6, 6-0, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. Sophomore Jaime Wong upended Abraham, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles. Miller defeated Krsikapa, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3. Ozolins topped Etiene 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4. Roberson beat Mitchell 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5. Koon defeated Blomberg, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6.
“It’s nice to get a win,” Georgia Tech head coach Bryan Shelton said. “There’s no substitute for winning. We’ll try to get some momentum and run with it. I think we remained pretty focused throughout the match. Two of our freshmen got into singles for the first time and started their Georgia Tech campaigns with a win.”
Georgia Tech improved to 1-1 on the young season and travels to Auburn for a match with the Tigers on February 16.
1. Morris/Wong d. Pavlinic/Abraham 8-4
2. Ozolins/M. Miller d. Krsikapa/Etienne 8-2
3. Koon/Roberson d. Mitchell/Blomberg 8-2
1. Lea Miller d. Moijca Pavlinic 1-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Jaime Wong d. Mable Abraham 6-3, 6-1
3. Mason Miller d. Jovana Krsikapa 6-2, 6-0
4. Laura Ozolins d. Karine Etienne 6-2, 6-0
5. Kristen Roberson d. Rebecca Mitchell 6-1, 6-0
6. Fallon Koon d. Birgitte Blomberg 6-2, 6-4