Nov. 20, 2015
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Three Yellow Jackets hit above .300 to lead the Georgia Tech volleyball team (18-11, 9-8 ACC) past the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (6-23, 1-16) in four sets on Friday night.
How it Happened
The first set had seven tied scores and four lead changes, but the Fighting Irish were able to come out with the win, 25-19.
The Fighting Irish had set point 24-23 in game two, before a pair of kills by Teegan Van Gunst put Georgia Tech ahead, 25-24. The Yellow Jackets capitalized on a Notre Dame hitting error to win the game, 26-24.
Game three was a back and forth battle. The Yellow Jackets had a one-point lead, 18-17, and then went on a 3-0 run to create space, 21-18. Georgia Tech carried the momentum through the remainder of the game, winning 25-21.
The Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 6-2 lead in game four and hung on to win it 25-22 thanks to a cross-court kill by Ashley Askin.
I thought this was a good team win tonight,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “I liked the way we kept getting better throughout the match. We stayed composed during moments when we were struggling, and we worked hard to find our rhythm and finish the match.”
– Gabriela Stavnetchei (.444), Teegan Van Gunst (.442) and Lauren Pitz (.318) all hit above .300.
– Teegan Van Gunst tallied her 18th double-double this season with a season-high 25 kills and and 15 digs.
– Ashley Askin tallied her third double-double of the season setting career highs in both kills (13) and digs (27).
– Annika Van Gunst added 11 kills and Gabriela Stavnetchei added a career-high 10 kills.
– Lauren Pitz tallied eight kills with just one error.
– Gabby Benda recorded her fourth double-double of the season with 22 assists and 11 digs.
– London Ackermann put up 21 digs for her seventh match with 20+ digs this season.
– Rebecca Martin and Ashley Askin each had two service aces.
The Yellow Jackets take on No. 17 Louisville on Sunday at 2 p.m. on ESPN3 in Louisville, Ky.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.