Oct. 14, 2016
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech volleyball team (14-5, 5-2 ACC) used a balanced attack on its way to a 3-1 victory against Boston College (5-12, 0-7) on Friday night. The Jackets have won the last 18 matches against the Eagles and are currently on a four-match winning streak.
How It Happened
The Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 6-2 lead and never looked back in set one. Georgia Tech kept its foot on the gas pedal and raced to a 25-14 first-set victory. The Jackets hit .550 in the set and held the Eagles to a -.077 hitting clip.
Boston College opened set two on an 8-3 run. The momentum stayed in the Eagles’ favor and they evened the match with a 25-20 win.
Tied 10-10 in game three, Georgia Tech hit its stride with five straight points. The Jackets stayed in rhythm to capture the game 25-20.
The Jackets poured it on in set four, taking a 13-4 lead. The Jackets won 25-12, and hit .615 in the set with 17 kills compared to Boston College’s .105 hitting percentage and eight kills.
“Every game counts and every game is our finals, so we have to play it all out,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “For our seniors it’s one last time every time they get out there so we have to make sure we’re making the most out of every opportunity.”
– Senior libero London Ackermann needs four digs to become the all-time career dig leader at Georgia Tech. She put up a team-best 13 digs against the Eagles.
– Gabriela Stavnetchei recorded her fourth double-double (14 kills, 10 digs) and hit .333 in the match.
– Teegan tallied her 10th double-double this season (17 kills, 10 digs) and hit .400 in the match.
– Annika Van Gunst added 10 kills and hit .435.
– Lauren Pitz put down two solo blocks and six block assists on defense.
The Yellow Jackets host Syracuse on Sunday, Oct. 16 at 1 p.m. on the ACC Network Extra. Prior to the match, there will be free ice cream sundaes for fans while supplies last.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech volleyball team, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.