Feb. 4, 2006
Madison, Wisc. – Tarryn Rudman, Lyndsay Shosho, Alison Silverio and Whitney McCray all won doubles and singles matches on Saturday to help third-ranked Georgia Tech (2-1) to a 6-1 victory over No. 12 Kentucky (0-3) at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium on the campus of the University of Wisconsin.
With the win, the Yellow Jackets improved to 2-1 at the premier indoor tournament of the season, with their only loss coming in the first round to No. 15 Texas, who plays in the semifinals this afternoon.
Tech jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the match by sweeping all three doubles matches. Tech’s 26th-ranked duo of Kristi Miller and Lyndsay Shosho stopped the Wildcats’ top duo of Kim Coventry and Joelle Schwenk, ranked 18th in the nation, 8-4, before No. 42 Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray downed Kentucky’s Carolina Escamilla and Lara Maurer by the same score to clinch the doubles point.
Silverio pushed the score to 2-0 in favor of the Jackets with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Escamilla at No. 4 singles, and rookie Christy Striplin gave Tech a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Petrisko at the No. 6 singles slot.
Rudman captured the deciding fourth point of the match when she battled at the No. 2 position for a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Schwenk.
After No. 7 Miller fell in straight sets to the 18th-ranked Coventry, 6-2, 6-3, the Jackets earned wins at the Nos. 3 and five singles positions for the final 6-1 margin. No. 71 Shosho stopped Maurer, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 3 slot, and McCray defeated Jessica Giuggioli, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 for the final point.
The Jackets will return to action in two weeks when they travel to Alabama and Auburn.
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky vs Georgia Tech
Feb 04, 2006 at Madison, Wisc.
#3 Georgia Tech 6, #12 Kentucky 1
1. #53 Kim Coventry (UK) def. #7 Kristi Miller (GT) 6-2, 6-3
2. #25 Tarryn Rudman (GT) def. Joelle Schwenk (UK) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. #71 Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Lara Maurer (UK) 6-4, 6-2
4. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Carolina Escamilla (UK) 6-1, 6-1
5. Whitney McCray (GT) def. Jessica Giuggioli (UK) 6-3, 6-1
6. Christy Striplin (GT) def. Danielle Petrisko (UK) 6-2, 6-2
1. #26 Miller/Shosho (GT) def. #18 Coventry/Schwenk (UK) 8-4
2. #42 Kelly Anderson/McCray (GT) def. Escamilla/Maurer (UK) 8-4
3. Silverio/Rudman (GT) def. Petrisko/Caroline Winebrenner (UK) 8-7 (7-3)
Kentucky 0-3; National ranking #12
Georgia Tech 2-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,6,2,1,3,5)