Feb. 20, 2011
Charlottesville, Va. – The No. 13 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (5-3) earned its first victory at the 2011 ITA National Team Indoor Championship with a 4-2 win over the No. 18 Washington Huskies (7-4) on Sunday night at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
After falling behind early the first two days by losing the doubles point, the Jackets were able to gain an early edge with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to claim the point. Freshman Muriel Wacker and junior Lynn Blau claimed a win at the third spot of the lineup with an 8-2 win over Washington’s Aleksandra Krsljanin and Andjela Nemcevic. The Jackets’ 68th ranked team of juniors Jillian O’Neill and Viet Ha Ngo grabbed an 8-4 win over UW’s Samantha Smith and Adrijanan Pavlovic.
Tech is now 5-0 this year when winning the doubles point.
Wacker again got a hot start and put Tech up 2-0 by making quick work of the Huskies’ Pavlovic, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 6 singles spot. Blau helped extend the Jackets’ lead to 3-0 with an impressive 6-0, 6-2 win over Washington’s Nemcevic at the fourth spot of the lineup.
The Huskies didn’t go down without a fight however as they claimed the next two matches. Sixth-ranked Denise Dy beat Tech’s Viet Ha Ngo 6-2, 6-1 on court one. Washington’s 26th ranked Venise Chan pulled the Huskies to within 3-2 with her 6-3, 6-3 win over the Jackets’ O’Neill at the second spot of the order.
Senior and team captain Sasha Krupina came up with a big match when the team needed her to and clinched the win with a 6-2, 6-3 win over UW’s Smith at the No. 3 singles position.
The Jackets will now return home to open ACC play against 16th-ranked Florida State on Saturday, Feb. 26, with the match set to begin at noon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. Admission is free and open to the public. For more information, please visit RamblinWreck.com. Fans can also connect with Tech tennis by following us on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, or by finding us on Facebook, GTwomenstennis.
#13 Georgia Tech vs. #18 Washington
Feb 20, 2011 at Charlottesville, Va.
GT 4, UW 2
1. #6 Denise Dy (UW) def. #105 Viet Ha Ngo (GT), 6-2, 6-1
2. #26 Venise Chan (UW) def. #61 Jillian O’Neill (GT), 6-3, 6-3
3. Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Samantha Smith (UW), 6-2, 6-3
4. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Andjela Nemcevic (UW), 6-0, 6-2
5. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) vs. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW), 3-6, 6-1, 2-1 (DNF)
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Adrijanan Pavlovic (UW), 6-0, 6-1
1. #70 Sasha Krupina/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) vs. #9 Denise Dy/Venise Chan (UW), 6-5 (DNF)
2. #68 Jillian O’Neill/Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Samantha Smith/ Adrijanan Pavlovic (UW), 8-4
3. Muriel Wacker/Lynn Blau (GT) def. Aleksandra Krsljanin/ Andjela Nemcevic (UW), 8-2
Georgia Tech 5-3; National ranking #13
Washington 7-4; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,1,2,3)
— RamblinWreck.com —