THE FLATS – No. 13 Georgia Tech women’s tennis opened the 2019 home slate falling to Ohio State, 4-0, in the first match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
DOUBLES ACTION: Georgia Tech took court three, but Ohio State got off to a strong start on courts one and two to open the match. Tech’s doubles pair of Nami Otsuka and Gia Cohen raced out with a 3-1 advantage over Mary Beth Hurley and Luna Dormet on three, but the Buckeyes evened it at 3-all. Otsuka held serve to put the Jackets back on top, 4-3, and Tech broke Ohio State to take a 5-3 edge. Otsuka and Cohen held for a 6-3 victory to give Tech its only doubles win of the morning. Ohio State captured courts one and two to take the doubles point and the early match lead, 1-0.
SINGLES ACTION: Ohio State took a 2-0 lead when Dalila Said was forced to retire due to injury early in her match on court four. The Buckeyes grabbed a 3-0 lead capturing a straight-set win on court two and clinched the match from court five. Competing on court one, Tech’s No. 24 Kenya Jones fought back against Shiori Fukuda to take the first set 7-5 before the match was suspended in the second set.
QUOTABLE: “First of all, well played by Ohio State. They completely outplayed us today and deserved to win the match. I just felt like we weren’t able to get momentum from doubles. We didn’t play as well in doubles as we needed to and they were able to carry the momentum into singles and they played really well. We’re going to have to regroup and play better tomorrow.” – Head coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech closes out the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on Sunday at 10 a.m. facing Auburn.
1. No. 47 Shiori Fukuda/Isabelle Boulais (OSU) def. Kenya Jones/Jeanette Lin (GT) 6-3
2. Kolie Allen/Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. No. 39 Victoria Flores/Valeriya Deminova (GT) 6-4
3. Nami Otsuka/Gia Cohen (GT) def. Mary Beth Hurley/Luna Dormet (OSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 24 Kenya Jones (GT) vs. Shiori Fukuda (OSU) 7-5, 1-3 DNF
2. Kolie Allen (OSU) def. Jeanette Lin (GT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Nami Otsuka (GT) vs. Isabelle Boulais (OSU) 5-7, 2-1 DNF
4. Danielle Wolf (OSU) def. Dalila Said (GT) 0-1, ret.
5. Luna Dormet (OSU) def. Gia Cohen (GT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Victoria Flores (GT) vs. Mary Beth Hurley (OSU) 3-6, 3-2 DNF
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5