ATHENS, Ga. – Andres Martin defeated the No. 9 singles player in the country, but Georgia Tech men’s tennis was unable to hold-off No. 12 Georgia in a 4-2 loss at the Magill Tennis Complex on Friday afternoon.
The Yellow Jackets (3-1, 0-0 ACC) contended with the Bulldogs (4-0, 0-0 SEC) on court one during doubles play, with No. 31 Pablo Schelcher and Marcus McDaniel leading No. 8 Trent Bryde/Tyler Zink, 5-3, before Georgia clinched the doubles point taking courts two and three.
In singles McDaniel answered back with a tough 6-0, 7-5, victory over No. 73 Zink tying the score up at one a piece.
Next, on court three Keshav Chopra fell 6-2, 7-5, to No. 18 Philip Henning. Brandon McKinney won the first set on court four 6-4, but lost the second and third sets to Blake Croyder, 6-2, 6-1.
With the Jackets down, 3-1, No. 59 Martin fought to keep the swarm alive against No. 9 Bryde. Martin and Bryde traded scores early in the third set, but Martin was able to pull away and was victorious in the end taking the final set, 6-3.
The match came down to a pair of battles on courts four and five. UGA’s Erik Grevelius sealed the win over Cole Gromley taking court six, 6-4, 6-1. Schelcher went unfinished against Billy Rowe on court five.
Tech will be back on The Flats this Sunday when the Yellow Jackets play host to No. 21 South Carolina at the Byers Tennis Complex. The match is slotted to begin at noon (EST). Live streaming for Sunday’s match can be found here. Live results can be found here.
- #59 Andres Martin (M-GT) def. #9 Trent Bryde (UGA) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
- Marcus McDaniel (M-GT) def. #73 Tyler Zink (UGA) 6-0, 7-5
- #18 Philip Henning (UGA) def. Keshav Chopra (M-GT) 6-2, 7-5
- Blake Croyder (UGA) def. Brandon McKinney (M-GT) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
- Pablo Schelcher (M-GT) vs. Billy Rowe (UGA) 4-6. 3-2, unfinished
- Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. Cole Gromley (M-GT) 6-4, 6-1
- #31 Pablo Schelcher/Marcus McDaniel (M-GT) vs. #8 Trent Bryde/Tyler Zink (UGA) 5-3, unfinished
- Blake Croyder/Billy Rowe (UGA) def. #41 Andres Martin/Keshav Chopra (M-GT) 6-2
- Philip Henning/Erik Grevelius (UGA) def. Cole Gromley/Brandon McKinney (M-GT) 6-2
The Alexander-Tharpe Fund is the fundraising arm of Georgia Tech athletics, providing scholarship, operations and facilities support for Georgia Tech’s 400-plus student-athletes. Be a part of developing Georgia Tech’s Everyday Champions and helping the Yellow Jackets compete for championships at the highest levels of college athletics by supporting the A-T Fund’, which directly provides scholarships for Georgia Tech student-athletes, and the Support The Swarm Fund, created to give fans an opportunity to help Georgia Tech athletics maintain its recent momentum through the financial challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic! To learn more about supporting the Yellow Jackets, visit atfund.org.
For the latest information on Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis, follow us on Twitter (@GT_MTEN), Instagram (GT_MTEN), Facebook (Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.