Feb. 20, 2011
Charlottesville, Va. – The No. 13 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (4-3) suffered another tough setback on day two of the 2011 ITA National Indoor Championship as it fell to the No. 5 Cal Golden Bears (6-1), 4-1.
It was the second very tightly contested match for the Jackets in as many days. And again, for the second time in two days, Tech fell to the higher ranked squad.
Cal struck first as it claimed an 8-1 win by Marina Cossou and Anett Schutting over Rocio Alberca Lopez and Muriel Wacker at No. 3 doubles. The Jackets evened the score with an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles for Jillian O’Neill and Viet Ha Ngo over Tayler Davis and Annie Gorranson. The Golden Bears claimed the doubles point with a hard-fought 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles by the fifth ranked team of Mari Andersson and Jana Juricova over Tech’s 70th ranked team of Sasha Krupina and Elizabeth Kilborn.
In singles play, Cal quickly took command of the match. The Golden Bears’ fourth ranked Juricova defeated Tech’s Ngo, ranked 105th, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 1 spot in the lineup. Cal extended its lead to 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win by 35th ranked Gorranson over the Jackets’ Lynn Blau on court four.
Wacker claimed Tech’s first point of the day with a win over Cal’s Alice Duranteau at No. 6 singles. Wacker lost the first set 6-1, but bounced back to take sets two and three, 6-0, 6-2.
The Golden Bears clinched the match with a win at No. 2 singles. Cal’s Andersson, ranked No. 70, grabbed an early edge with a 7-6 (7-4) first set win over Tech’s 61st ranked O’Neill, and finished the match with a 6-1 second set victory.
The Jackets will be back in action on Sunday at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship as they face the No. 18 Washington Huskies at 7:30 p.m. For more information, visit the ITA website (itatennis.com), or visit the official tournament host page by clicking here. You can also follow us on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, for instant updates.
#5 Cal vs #13 Georgia Tech
Feb 18, 2011 at Charlottesville, Va.
UC 4, GT 1
1. #4 Jana Juricova (UC) def. #105 Viet Ha Ngo (GT) 6-1, 6-1
2. #70 Mari Andersson (UC) def. #61 Jillian O’Neill (GT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
3. #51 Tayler Davis (UC) vs. Sasha Krupina (GT) 7-6 (10-8), 3-4 (DNF)
4. #35 Annie Gorranson (UC) def. Lynn Blau (GT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Anett Schutting (UC) vs. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 2-6, 7-5, 2-1
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Alice Duranteau (UC) 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
1. #5 Mari Andersson/Jana Juricova (UC) def. #70 Sasha Krupina/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 8-6
2. #68 Jillian O’Neill/Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Tayler Davis (UC)/Annie Gorranson (UC), 8-3
3. Marina Cossou/Anett Schutting (UC) def. Rocio Alberca Lopez/Muriel Wacker (GT), 8-1
California 6-1; National ranking #5
Georgia Tech 4-3; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,4,6,2)
— RamblinWreck.com —