Nov. 24, 2012
Georgia Tech Coach Brian Gregory –
“I thought we played a very good California team tonight. They have a couple veterans that make plays for them and we weren’t able to respond. We were able to play with a very good team for about 30 minutes. Give them credit, they took it to us a little bit, and that’s something that our young guys have to learn. They need to respond well on Sunday.
- Had a couple bad possessions offensively, I called a timeout when they took a 4-point lead. We needed to regroup there. Unfortunately Cam was the only post player that was aggressive today. His foul trouble hurt us, and Marcus’ put us in a tough situation. But we play 10 guys and they needed to step up – we didn’t get enough basketball from enough guys tonight in order to beat a Cal team.
- I thought we did a good job defensively on them, you take away second chance points and they had 16. They got to the foul line a ton. They had a couple guys that are tremendous free throw shooters and if you foul them…Crabbe and Cobbs, they shot 10-for-12.
California Coach Mike Montgomery
“Great win for us. In many ways the match-up was good for us. The first time we played a team with bigs like ours, maybe not as athletic, but it seems like we’ve gotten better as we’ve gotten the tenner for the game. You’re still talking about a good ACC team that had the 14th-best recruiting class, so for us it’s a nice win. We figured some things out in terms of how we want to play. Allen was frustrated, but we were able to get the ball to some other people.
- I think of all the teams, Pacific has played the best. They’re really executing. In some people’s minds people will look at their two wins as surprising but I think they’re further ahead than anyone else in this tournament. It’s November, and they’re playing at a really high level. For them to do what they did to Saint Mary’s is really impressive.
- We didn’t double all that much…they weren’t really able to hurt us in isolations like we were concerned about. Holsey was the guy that was hurting us so we made a decision to run a guard down, and I thought in that particular situation, Tyler was really good. It gave us at a time where they could have potentially changed the whole complexion, they didn’t and that was huge.
- What we are trying to figure out, is that this is not an equal opportunity deal, there are shots that are good for people, some people should have the ball in certain areas, so trying to figure out how to get continuity on offense. We have work to do. We have 3 weeks with 3 very tough games. We’ve got to get movement on offense. We’ve got to get movement instead of standing. When we stand and watch we’re not getting good shots.
- Allen can help us in a lot of ways. If you decide you’re going to guard Allen or commit two guys to him, we have to have the ability to give the ball to other guys. You can help us win games in different ways. I feel like we’re starting to get to the point where other guys can contribute.
- If the ball sticks, it’s hard for guys. We have a tendency to play one-on-one, we can’t win one-on-one. If they have to start from scratch, we’re not going to get very much. That’s not where we’re strong.