Jan. 31, 2009
ATLANTA – Irina Falconi teamed with Amanda McDowell to win, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles and then clinched match point with a three-set victory at No. 2 singles to lead the No. 8 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (2-0) to a 5-2 win over No. 25 TCU (1-2) Saturday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
“I thought we played another great match,” head coach Bryan Shelton said. “We competed very well and it was great to just get off the mark with the doubles point again. TCU is a great team and they are going to beat a lot of good teams this season.”
The Yellow Jackets will meet No. 21 Arizona State Sunday at 2:30 p.m., in the ITA Indoor Championships qualifying match. The Sun Devils defeated No. 20 Florida State, 4-1, earlier in the day.
The Jackets opened an early 1-0 over the Horned Frogs behind a strong doubles showing. McDowell and Falconi, the nation’s No. 4 team, blew past TCU’s 16th-ranked duo Macall Harkins and Anna Sydorska. Christy Striplin and Noelle Hickey clinched the doubles point for Tech by defeating Gaby Mastromarino and Nina Munch-Soegaard, 8-5, on court two.
In singles play, Striplin quickly put the Jackets ahead 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Sydorska at the No. 3 position. No. 12 Munch-Soegaard gave TCU its first point of the day when she defeated No. 11 McDowell, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 at the top spot in the lineup.
Sasha Krupina, playing in the No. 5 position, pushed the Yellow Jackets lead to 3-1 when she came from behind to defeat Kayla Duncan, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.
Falconi clinched the victory for Tech when she held on for a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win over No. 49 Macall Harkins at the second spot in the lineup.
“I was very impressed with Irina coming back and clinching the match for us,” Shelton said. “I was also impressed with the way Sasha came up big for us. She is really stepping up for this team.”
Viet Ha Ngo wrapped up the day with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Idunn Hertzberg in the No. 6 position.
The consolation match will feature TCU and Florida State Sunday at 9:00 a.m. Admission is free to the general public. Live stats for the Yellow Jackets match will be available on ramblinwreck.com.
– RamblinWreck.com –
Tennis Match Results
Texas Christian vs Georgia Tech
Jan 30, 2009 at Atlanta, Ga.
#8 Georgia Tech 5, #25 Texas Christian 2
1. #12 Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) def. #11 Amanda McDowell (GT) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. #23 Irina Falconi (GT) def. #49 Macall Harkins (TCU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
3. #27 Christy Striplin (GT) def. Anna Sydorska (TCU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. #57 Noelle Hickey (GT) 7-6, 7-5
5. Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Kayla Duncan (TCU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) 6-1, 7-5
1. #4 Amanda McDowell/Irina Falconi (GT) def. #16 Macall Harkins/Anna Sydorska (TCU) 8-3
2. Christy Striplin/Noelle Hickey (GT) def. Gaby Mastromarino/Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) 8-5
3. Katariina Tuohimaa/Kayla Duncan (TCU) vs. Sasha Krupina/Hillary Davis (GT) no result
Texas Christian 1-2; National ranking #25
Georgia Tech 2-0; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,1,5,2,4,6) ^ – ITA Kick-Off Weekend