April 3, 2005
College Park, Md. – Alison Silverio won in three-sets at No. 4 singles to clinch a 5-2 match victory for Georgia Tech (13-2, 6-0 ACC), defeating Maryland in College Park Sunday afternoon. With the victory, the Yellow Jackets improved to 5-0 against the Terrapins under head coach Bryan Shelton.
“It was a good weekend,” said Shelton, “and it feels great to be 6-0 in such a tough conference.
The Yellow Jackets began the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches. Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray quickly dispatched Maryland’s Brooke Rogers and Jennifer Dent, 8-2, at the No. 2 position before Lyndsay Shosho and Dasha Potapova captured the doubles point for the Yellow Jackets in the No. 2 slot with an 8-5 victory over Marianne Baker and Julia Graca.
Miller, ranked 15th in the nation, gave Tech a 2-0 lead in the match with a 6-2, 6-4 win over 76th-ranked But at No. 1 singles before the Terrapins cracked the scoreboard with a 6-2, 6-0 victory by Baker at the No. 2 position.
Anderson, playing No. 3 singles for the first time this season, defeated Dent, 6-7 (0), 6-1, 6-2, giving the Jackets a 3-1 lead before Silverio captured the fourth and deciding point with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 win over Neda Mihneva.
Shosho extended her singles win-streak to eight matches with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Masha Senic before McCray fell 12-10 in a third-set super-tiebreaker to finish the afternoon.
The Yellow Jackets will return home to conclude the regular season with a pair of matches this coming weekend against Florida State and Miami and then two more matches against Duke and North Carolina the following weekend.
“We have a couple of huge weekends coming up for us,” said Shelton. “We will definitely be tested, but will enjoy being back home and hope to have several fans in the stands supporting the white and gold.”
1. Miller/Silverio (GT) def. But/Huppes (Md), 8-5
2. Shosho/Potapova (GT) def. Baker/Graca (Md), 8-5
3. Anderson/McCray (GT) def. Rogers/Dent (Md), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 15 Kristi Miller (GT) def. No. 76 Ramona But (Md), 6-2, 6-4
2. Marianne Baker (Md) def. Dasha Potapova (GT), 6-2, 6-0
3. Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Jennifer Dent (Md), 6-7 (0), 6-1, 6-2
4. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Neda Mihneva (Md), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Masha Senic (Md), 6-0, 6-0
6. Julia Graca (Md) def. Whitney McCray (GT), 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6