March 14, 2012
Auburn, Ala. – The 22nd-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (6-6) began its five-match road swing with a 5-2 win over the No. 62 Auburn Tigers (7-6) Wednesday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center in Auburn, Ala.
Junior Elizabeth Kilborn clinched the win, which snapped the Yellow Jackets’ two match losing streak, with a 6-2, 6-3 win over the Tigers’ Emily Flickinger on court two. Kilborn improved to 10-5 this spring in singles play and is the first Jacket to reach the double digit wins mark.
Auburn evened the doubles score when Jen Pfeifler and Paulina Schippers upset the Jackets’ ninth-ranked team of Jillian O’Neill and Alex Anghelescu 8-5 on court two. The Tigers’ claimed the first point of the day after Emily Flickinger and Jacqueline Kasler downed Lynn Blau and Kilborn 8-3 on court one.
O’Neill, ranked No. 22 in singles, evened the match 1-1 as she dispatched Pfeifler 6-2, 6-2 on court one. Freshman Jasmine Minor improved to 9-3 in singles play for the spring when she downed Schreiman 6-3, 6-0 to put Tech up 2-1 and give the Yellow Jackets a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
Blau put Tech within one point of the singles win after defeating Taylor Cohen 6-3, 6-2 on court six. Auburn added a second point when Kasler downed Tech’s Anghelescu 6-3, 6-1 on court four, but Kilborn’s win on two sealed the Jacket win and squashed a Tiger rally.
Ngo cruised to a 6-1 first set win over Kurteva. After dropping the second set 6-3, she rallied for a 6-3 third set win and the match victory.
The Yellow Jackets continue their road trip with a match at 39th-ranked Florida State, beginning at noon at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women’s tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
#22 Georgia Tech at #62 Auburn
March 14, 2012
#22 Georgia Tech 5, #62 Auburn 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1)
1. Emily Flickinger / Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Lynn Blau / Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 8-3
2. Jen Pfeifler / Paulina Schippers (AU) def. #9 Jillian O’Neill / Alex Anghelescu (GT), 8-5
3. Viet Ha Ngo / Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Taylor Schreimann / Plamena Kurteva (AU), 8-1
Singles (Order of Finish: (1, 5, 6, 4, 2, 3)
1. #22 Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU), 6-2, 6-2
2. #86 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Emily Flickinger (AU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
4. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Alex Anghelescu (GT), 6-3, 6-1
5. Jasmine Minor (GT) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU), 6-3, 6-0
6. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Taylor Cohen (AU), 6-3, 6-2
Georgia Tech 6-6, national ranking #22
Auburn 7-6, national ranking #62
— RamblinWreck.com —